The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Again good day all. Looking to purchase this cannon at a local auction. The listing has absolutely no details about what it is and it’s something I know little about (besides I want it lol 🤦‍♂️). Any idea what exactly it is and what it might be worth? Thanks!

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
It's a small scale attempt at making a 1700s field black powder cannon of unknown vintage, probably mid 20th century. The tube looks to be of brass or bronze. Value is what ever the highest bid ends up to be. The carriage and wheels need a little TLC before you attempt to fire it if you win it.

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
No, the wheels are a dead give away real cannon wheels are constructed much differently. Besides the fact that a real cannon of the time would have been about 4 times larger. As Liktoshoot says, it's basically a 1:4 scale yard art / noise maker. It will go for somewhere between 300 to 1,000 dollars depending on if it ends up in a bidding war. It isn't a real antique, but if it's functional, it would be a lot of fun. :) A friend of mine has a couple full scale Civil War cannon, I've played with them a time or two, got invited to be on his gun crew at an event but couldn't attend the event.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry my mistake, the length of the cannon is 3 feet, though it does appear from the pic that the diameter is around 3 inches.

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
3 inch has to be the OD....surely. If it is a noise maker I suspect it hasn't been fired. If that's the vent, it shows no use, best I can tell and it seems very close to the end of the breech to me. I'm inclined to believe as Chief Dan George said about his rock candy in the movie "The Outlaw Josey Wales", it ain't fer eatin', "it's fer lookin' at."

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
I think you're right Vic, my pea brain was thinking when he said three feet he meant the tube was three feet as that is what length of a gun usually means, rather than overall length of the gun and carriage. I looked closer at the tape measure and the tube is about 18 inches not counting the cascabel so yeah, probably 3 inches OD.

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
Yeah, I had to look at the tape again when I read "3 feet.". I didn't remember the tape reflecting that and, it doesn't. 3 ft. isn't that much shorter than the old Mountain Howitzer, I think.

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
Wow Jeff!!! I never would have suspected that.

Recently at a local auction there was a real cannon on a naval type carriage that had a 2 inch bore, it was about 1/4 scale, and it brought right at $1,000. I should have gone to the auction as I'd love to have a real cannon but, there wasn't enough information in the flyer and I figured if it was real, which it turned out to be, it would bring about $2.500 and I wasn't spending that much.

·
Super Moderator
42,676 Posts
Earlier this week I went to a pawn shop with my granddaughter to pick up a laptop she had on layaway. I walked around looking at "stuff" (after I paid out her layaway). Behind one counter, there was a small cannon that I stopped to look at, the cannon itself was probably 18-20 inches long and the bore was about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. I wish I had, but didn't, ask the price of it or ask for more info on the thing. It was a beauty.

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
Yeah, I had to look at the tape again when I read "3 feet.". I didn't remember the tape reflecting that and, it doesn't. 3 ft. isn't that much shorter than the old Mountain Howitzer, I think.
A fella I used to work withs dad has a Dixie Gun Works mountain howitzer on a prairie carriage, they (a local muzzle loading club) fire it off in town during the annual town festival. It's either a two inch or 2 1/4 inch bore with about a three foot barrel. It's pretty darned loud, they pull it down main street in the parade and fire blank charges. I guess he shoots targets using cement filled beer cans for ammo. :) The gentleman who did the case colors on my Sharps rifle has two full scale CW era cannon he made from surplus WW II 5 inch 38 caliber naval rifle barrels. After he gets the Whitworth replica sighted in he can hit a 55 gallon drum at 1700 yards.

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
Jeff, for your information, in naval gun nomenclature, size is expressed in bore x the number of calibers total in the length of the tube so a five inch 38 caliber gun isn't 38 caliber, it is 38 calibers (5 inches x 38 = 190 inches) long.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Looks like a "Kit Cannon", bore is for golf balls. I remember seeing them for sale in old Shotgun News ads, Dixie may of had them too. $500 is cheap! There's a company I can't recall at the moment, that makes a steel version now. $500 wouldn't cover the carriage. Their larger version shoots beer cans full of concrete.
Grizz said fun, that's an understatement!:) Fairly accurate with practice, lethal, and will put a golf ball out there where you can't see it any more.

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
A friend of mine has a full size Mountain Howitzer...and I have yet to be able to get him to part with it. The carriage sucks and would have to be redone.

Trap, I didn't know that. The vent still looks terribly close to the breech to me, if that's what that is.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts