The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to find any information on this rifle. I have been researching it on and off for weeks and really can’t find any accurate information on it other than the R.B. Stamp comes from a known maker. The gun is broken and does not shoot but I would like to know more about it before I hang it up thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,289 Posts
The rifle's maker is inscribed on the top flat of the barrel, I can't decipher what it says or the name could be researched to find out where and when.

If the "RB" you are referring to are the letters on the lock plate, that would be the company who made the lock, rather than the rifle and judging by the shape of the lock mortise and that the relief for the drum isn't directly under the drum, the lock isn't original to this rifle.

·
Premium Member
11,205 Posts
Yeah, the pictures are awfully dark. Need to get it outside on a sunny day and take the pictures in the shade on a contrasting background...and not white....says he who is a lousy photographer.

Just from what I can see, not much, it appears to be an Ohio style rifle. And I concur with Griz about the lock. As One Shot said, it looks to have been a pretty nice piece.

·
Registered
9,289 Posts
Yeah, the pictures are awfully dark. Need to get it outside on a sunny day and take the pictures in the shade on a contrasting background...and not white....says he who is a lousy photographer.

Just from what I can see, not much, it appears to be an Ohio style rifle. And I concur with Griz about the lock. As One Shot said, it looks to have been a pretty nice piece.
Ohio, maybe. But definitely mid-western, mid 19th century. Judging by the shape of the original lock's mortise, the original lock was likely a Goulcher. That squared off rear section kind of gives me that clue.

I did a semi-restoration on a rifle very similar to this one a few years back, I left the outsides looking old, rebored the barrel and had to make a modern made lock fit the original mortise and create a new side plate to fit in the hole where the original was missing and then "antique" the new parts to match the age of the rifle. This was an Indiana rifle from the 1850's The owner was very pleased with it, He paid 50 dollars for it as a relic, wanted it returned to functionality for his daughter to shoot, and now he has a shooter that he and his daughter enjoy taking to the range .
And yes, I did date the back sides of the new parts so in the future someone will know that they are not original to the rifle. S4020668.JPG S4020669.JPG

The lock that was on this rifle was also a replacement and not original to the rifle and was damaged beyond repair, it's remains are on the bench in the bottom picture. The top of the replacement lock had yet to be built up with weld to exactly fit in the mortise in these pictures.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts