The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
RvrBoatVet,
If possible, please post some pictures - it is almost impossible to provide a valid RETAIL valuations without pics. There are some experts on this type of firearm along within a very short period - so hang tight.
Welcome to the forum and "Welcome home, brother" (9th Inf, May-Aug '69 -Tan An, My Tho, Tan Tru, Dong Tam, etc.).

·
Banned
17,476 Posts
G'day RvrBoatVet, i'm sure we have other ex brown water folks here too

welcome to the forums , as to your Musket i thin there where 2 in production at the time , the 1816 Type II "National Armory Brown". It was called this because of the browned finish on all metal parts except the lock and the sling swivel on trigger guard.and the 1816 type III or bright model , because of the bright finish

now heres a interesting thing ,

Brigham Young, formed the Mormon Battalion but the rifles he bough which are exactly the same , had all marks removed ... normally there'd be a mark like "hall" or "harper's ferry" or something but these had none , all marks removed , i dunno why , i've read rumour , i think it was not a PC subject ..

a auction house or antique house marking of VGP - E is a good sign . so based on that , roughly ( dont hold me to it i'm just reading auction results here )

brown is about $1600

bright about $2600 on a good day

and talk to the mormons if its proven to be a mormon battalion one , i hear they paid 20 grand for one ... and its now on display in their museum ..

history can also add to the value of a weapon , but these are a nice gentlemans flinter , not too heavy , and good at 200 yards with basic skills

hope this helps , and i'm sure someone can tell you more , pic's would help as wood can add and subtract too and i aint a expert on that either

again welcome !

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
A couple of questions. What is the caliber, and is the barrel rifled? Is it still flintlock or has it been converted to percussion? We need good pictures of the trigger guard area and, please, no blurry handheld cell phone pics.

If the barrel is 42", .69 caliber and unrifled, it is the Model 1816 Musket, a fairly common piece, but some are pricey if in good original condition.

Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.