The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Banned
206 Posts
Okay, I’ll bite. This thread is getting “more interestinger and interestringer” by the moment. No slight at all to OP but we’ve gone from hard cast 45ACP bullets to oversized airgun bullets and now penetration questions as the BP revolver will be used for self defense?? Any reason you aren’t using a modern handgun instead of a 175 year old replica?
He's in California...

· Banned
206 Posts
Unfortunately I may not not be able to purchase a firearm, atleast not in this state. This was caused by something that was no fault of my own and never a violent crime or anything like that. I'm getting mixed replies on whether the .457 "air gun ammo" will work or not🤔 what, if any reasons are there why it would not?
Lee made an inexpensive conical bullet mold for the ".44 caliber" black powder revolvers. It is a 200gr., .450" conical bullet. The .454" balls shear off a ring of lead as you seat them (the ID of the cylinder is actually .450") so a .457" would shear off even more. I would suggest sticking with round balls or using a proper conical bullet made for BP revolvers. The longer bullets weighing more than 200gr. may not stabilize in the slow twist barrel causing them to be inaccurate and/or keyhole. Stick with what was intended for the revolver and focus on accuracy and reliability. Using the right size caps would be more important for reliability than anything. They can come off the nipple after firing during the next cocking of the gun and bind up the action. My Piettas like #10 caps. If I was in your situation I would focus on getting your legal situation resolved so you can enjoy any type of firearm you want.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts