The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know if this bullet will work in this revolver? The gun is on the way and I already have plenty of .457 slugs that currently use for my PCP pistol, but I'm not sure if the .457 will fit into th cylinder. Anyone have experience with piettas and .452?

Product Font Parallel Rectangle Screenshot

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I plan on keeping it percussion, atleast as long as I live in California. Okay so I would want .454 with the conicals aswell. Has anyone tried .457 in these chambers? If not I'm trying to find some if anyone has any ideas. Thanks!

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those bullets will work but they are a PITA to load because they're not tapered or rebated on the base and they will be hard to load straight. You will have to load them with the cylinder out of the gun because they won't fit through the loading window unless you modify the window. Also you will have to melt the lube out of them and use a bp friendly lube. Is the frame steel or brass?
Do these ones qualify as tapered or rebated based? I'm not exactly sure how soft or hard the lead is, but soft enough to slice with my finger nail. If I were to get a loading stand, do you think these are good option? I already have a .454 RB on the way for plinking/having fun, but would be nice to have something more powerful aswell.
Household hardware Auto part Metal Wood Natural material
Font Musical instrument Transparency Circle History

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok thanks. This navy comes with no loading lever, but rather a rod to push them in. Any reason why I can't use a rubber mallet and the rod to push them in? I would have the cylinder out of the gun when doing this ofcourse.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm really interested in seeing whether this 3 inch barrel could be suitable for self defense. So far I've heard heard it's its capable of up to 250(fpe using RB)from 2 sources. 250 fpe would be great for .32, maybe even for the .38, but won't give ample penetration with .45 in my opinion.

And I'm thinking 250 fpe was a high estimate.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Unfortunately I may not not be able to purchase a firearm, atleast not in this state. This was caused by something that was no fault of my own and never a violent crime or anything like that. I'm getting mixed replies on whether the .457 "air gun ammo" will work or not🤔 what, if any reasons are there why it would not?

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As far as having 'something more powerful' than a round ball in a percussion revolver - seems to me that those were plenty powerful enough during the Civil War, on the frontier and in the Indian Wars.

Sometimes simple is better. Often times simple is better. If you want a self-defense handgun, and for some reason a .44 isn't enough, you might think about skipping what you are doing and just get yourself a .45 automatic. A cap and ball revolver isn't the best choice for self defense today like it was 170 years ago. Especially not one that requires the cylinder to be removed for loading.
That's true, but you have to remember this is a 3 inch barrel. If I'm getting less than 250 fpe that won't cut it for a 45. I would feel alot better getting closer to 350 fpe, which is what the standard .45acp does and has proven over both gelatin penetration tests to be lethal, and more importantly in real life scenarios.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Not sure what type of bullets those are , are they hard cast ? I only use pure lead bullets , round balls mostly . Can't remember all the reasons but if hard cast they are mostly considered a no , no . More leading , pressure ect . And yes round balls are way more accurate then conicals . Most shooters at those shooting events use them for that reason . Conicals were used and most paper cartridge bullets used them . The ones they were issued or could be bought at the store . You can buy conicals made for BP at many places . You wouldn't have to worry but the loading levers on revolvers are made for round balls and when trying to load a conical if the loader isn't modified or changed they will deform the conical when ramming it into the cylinder . Or at least with lead bullets . Also Dragoon ???? Mnnnnn I like Dragoons . You may need to start another thread !!!!
That's my main concern is the lead softness. Well these .454 soft rb should be here next week aswell, so I suppose I'll have to give it the Ole fingernail test to compare/contrast with these .457🤷‍♂️

I was looking at those civil war ones before. A little pricey, but those look nice though!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts