The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,698 Posts
You might equal a .45 ACP with your air gun bullets and as much Triple Seven as you can stuff under it out of an 8 inch barrel. I say "might". I really don't see it happening with a 3 inch barrel but you're welcome to experiment and see how close you can get.

·
Premium Member
18,280 Posts
A soft, lead round ball kills way out of proportion to its paper ballistics. Paper ballistics are mostly for mental exercise anyway.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

·
Premium Member
13,357 Posts
You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
Yup, definitely sounds like what’s happening here. I also hope OP has checked with their attorney because in every state I’m familiar with (others may not hold true to this) the second you put a cap on a nipple that front stuffer is now considered a gun and likewise if you shoot someone with one it’s now a gun as well. I’d imagine if a person who’s 2A rights have been stripped shot someone with a BP revolver they’d be in deep doo-doo. Seems like we get this 2-3 times a year now where someone has lost their gun rights and mistakingly think BP is a legal loophole. They probably read this mumbo jumbo on some lame “sovereign citizen” website.

·
Premium Member
4,331 Posts
Not sure what type of bullets those are , are they hard cast ? I only use pure lead bullets , round balls mostly . Can't remember all the reasons but if hard cast they are mostly considered a no , no . More leading , pressure ect . And yes round balls are way more accurate then conicals . Most shooters at those shooting events use them for that reason . Conicals were used and most paper cartridge bullets used them . The ones they were issued or could be bought at the store . You can buy conicals made for BP at many places . You wouldn't have to worry but the loading levers on revolvers are made for round balls and when trying to load a conical if the loader isn't modified or changed they will deform the conical when ramming it into the cylinder . Or at least with lead bullets . Also Dragoon ???? Mnnnnn I like Dragoons . You may need to start another thread !!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Not sure what type of bullets those are , are they hard cast ? I only use pure lead bullets , round balls mostly . Can't remember all the reasons but if hard cast they are mostly considered a no , no . More leading , pressure ect . And yes round balls are way more accurate then conicals . Most shooters at those shooting events use them for that reason . Conicals were used and most paper cartridge bullets used them . The ones they were issued or could be bought at the store . You can buy conicals made for BP at many places . You wouldn't have to worry but the loading levers on revolvers are made for round balls and when trying to load a conical if the loader isn't modified or changed they will deform the conical when ramming it into the cylinder . Or at least with lead bullets . Also Dragoon ???? Mnnnnn I like Dragoons . You may need to start another thread !!!!
That's my main concern is the lead softness. Well these .454 soft rb should be here next week aswell, so I suppose I'll have to give it the Ole fingernail test to compare/contrast with these .457🤷‍♂️

I was looking at those civil war ones before. A little pricey, but those look nice though!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Okay, I’ll bite. This thread is getting “more interestinger and interestringer” by the moment. No slight at all to OP but we’ve gone from hard cast 45ACP bullets to oversized airgun bullets and now penetration questions as the BP revolver will be used for self defense?? Any reason you aren’t using a modern handgun instead of a 175 year old replica?
He's in California...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Unfortunately I may not not be able to purchase a firearm, atleast not in this state. This was caused by something that was no fault of my own and never a violent crime or anything like that. I'm getting mixed replies on whether the .457 "air gun ammo" will work or not🤔 what, if any reasons are there why it would not?
Lee made an inexpensive conical bullet mold for the ".44 caliber" black powder revolvers. It is a 200gr., .450" conical bullet. The .454" balls shear off a ring of lead as you seat them (the ID of the cylinder is actually .450") so a .457" would shear off even more. I would suggest sticking with round balls or using a proper conical bullet made for BP revolvers. The longer bullets weighing more than 200gr. may not stabilize in the slow twist barrel causing them to be inaccurate and/or keyhole. Stick with what was intended for the revolver and focus on accuracy and reliability. Using the right size caps would be more important for reliability than anything. They can come off the nipple after firing during the next cocking of the gun and bind up the action. My Piettas like #10 caps. If I was in your situation I would focus on getting your legal situation resolved so you can enjoy any type of firearm you want.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts