The Firearms Forum banner
1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Hawg 
#1 ·
I have a NMA with a cut-off barrel. It is serial numbered 140457 with all the Union acceptance proof marks. There's an additional serial number of "500" stamped on the bottom of the handle strap. The pistol looks to be used as a "fencing tool" during its' lifetime :) Surprisingly, the screws aren't buggered up, action is tight on all 6 cylinder cycles, rifling is crisp and it's very accurate. The front sight is a large brass blade in a tapered 1/2 cylinder steel base. Pantinal/blue on protected surfaces, unchipped walnut grips. Interesting piece.

My search of the serial number shows a manufacture date of Jan or Feb 1865. It appears this might be the real thing since this late serial number would put this pistol in the probable "not issued" category at the close of the war (Appomattox being in early April '65)...

I had heard that Remington did produce various "transition models" to unload overstock, with the cut barrel as the first transition and the cartridged cylinderslater on. I couldn't find any records or even a sight to write to Remington. Do any of you folks have a clue as to what this is and/pr who to contact?

Thanks,
Jeff, Motoman...currently in MS

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.