The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends....

I am VERY excited to have found this Forum, as I believe it is FULL of knowledgable gun enthusiasts, and I am sure that you guys will be able to help me find the answers I am looking for :)

My dad recently traded for a .45 SAA "Colt" I am sure it is some sort of a reproduction, but clueless as to exactly what we have.... I am posting pics of it, and hopefully somebody can tell me just what it is.

One thing is for SURE, it is OLD..... And it has all matching serial numbers. #36 is stamped in 3 different places, two will be pictured and other is on front of cylinder.

Thank you VERY MUCH for any and all information!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
It is old, I would guess from it's finish, from the 1930's or 1940's, but no. The complete lack of Colt markings and that very interesting cylinder pin, I would guess either a Spanish or Belgium version of a Colt single action. Plus, looking at the side profile, something just looks wrong, perhaps the grip angle, don't know. I think ( as hrf ) that is it one of , what is called a " Spanish Colt" from Mexico or South America.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya, I agree 110% it IS a reproduction of some sort.... THAT is exactly what I'm trying to figure out, lol. I figured eventually SOMEBODY will have seen/recognize this pistol and lead me in the right direction. I also agree it most likely started out in Mexico.... Not sure how it ended up in north Missouri. Lol. THANKS GUYS!!!!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
It looks like a non firing replica. Notice it only has the hammer and trigger screw, no bolt screw.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
If it is a non fireing replical then I was in error in reference to it's age {:) I never get tired of being wrong }, instead of being old, it has been aged in a tumbler of rocks.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Reenactors spent a great deal of time making a firearm look old for their get-togethers. Sometimes this makes it difficult to determine exactly what it is that you have. Keep searching, in some dimly-lit corner of the internet you'll find someone who can tell you exactly the information you're after! Whichever way it turns out, that's a great looking piece even if it ends up being just a wallhanger.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's not a "model", it does function.... It is in time, but by no means "tight".... We are farmers here in MO, my dad traded with another farmer that has had the gun for YEARS.... It is OLD, no fake aging to it.
I just can't believe that there haven't been any JUST LIKE IT sold at auction before, something with similar serial numbers and such.
I've looked at all the obvious places online, guess its time to look in that "dark corner" and see what comes up.

Again guys, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!! I know I am frustrated trying to pinpoint exactly what we have, and for you guys to be looking just to help me.... That means a lot!!! Thanks once again.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
These guns were made in so many variations, even by the same maker that you may never find an exact duplicate. What do you have? I think it has been fairly well established, that you have a Spanish " Mexican Colt " copy of a Colt single action. The serial number means nothing, the maker may have used the same number on every gun he made as a added " decoration ", or it may have even been the original number of the gun they used as a pattern. Again , that low serial number means nothing on your gun, it could just as well be 1 or 666. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
A Spanish made Colt fake isn't worth the bother to learn more than has been established here. What else could you learn about it?

It's worth about 5% of the real Colt it was copied from.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts