The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,
I am trying to dissemble an antique 1885 falling block Winchester. The rifle’s action wouldn’t cycle like there was something blocking the action. I’ve got the trigger assembly out and the pin for the lever came out fine, but the action won’t fall out of the assembly. It is almost like there is something in the barrel catching on the block as I try and remove it. Obviously am nervous as I have not been able to verify the weapon is empty at any point in this process. Any advice for next steps? I understand I cannot remove the barrel without removing the falling block. Thank you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a video on u tube on how t disassemble a win 1885. Sorry I never have never taken mine apart so i'm not going to be much help.
Thanks for the reply - yes, I followed that video but when I go to slide the block and lever assembly out it gets stuck.

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
Just guessing here: If the block is jammed - could it be that the firing pin is stuck and protrudes far enough to keep the block from opening? I've had the same thing happen with an old single shot shotgun. I had to soak the firing pin with penetrating oil to free it up. Then I uses a cleaning rod from the barrel end to work the firing pin until it moved enough to open the action. Just be sure to gently work the firing pin just enough to get it free. Don't try to force it - just a little at a time until the penetrating oil does it's job.

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
Good morning,
I am trying to dissemble an antique 1885 falling block Winchester. The rifle’s action wouldn’t cycle like there was something blocking the action. I’ve got the trigger assembly out and the pin for the lever came out fine, but the action won’t fall out of the assembly. It is almost like there is something in the barrel catching on the block as I try and remove it. Obviously am nervous as I have not been able to verify the weapon is empty at any point in this process. Any advice for next steps? I understand I cannot remove the barrel without removing the falling block. Thank you!
If you want to verify that the rifle is unloaded, run a cleaning rod down bore from the muzzle. If it's loaded the rod will stop short of the breech block.

I'm betting that Jim is correct in that the firing pin is not retracted and is what is causing the breech block to hang up. Either it is rusty and won't move freely, or the spring that retracts it is broken.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you want to verify that the rifle is unloaded, run a cleaning rod down bore from the muzzle. If it's loaded the rod will stop short of the breech block.

I'm betting that Jim is correct in that the firing pin is not retracted and is what is causing the breech block to hang up. Either it is rusty and won't move freely, or the spring that retracts it is broken.
Rifle is unloaded and I can see down the barrel that it is clear. So I can actually partially remove the firing pin via a set screw on top of the block. Even when I do that, still stuck!! Looking at blueprints now to see what possibly could be stuck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so in looking down the barrel while trying to remove the block, I get about 1 cm of travel. The block then appears to get stuck on the bottom of the chamber. There is a circle about the width of the barrel inscribed around the firing pin on the block. The bottom side of that circle is slightly d-shaped right where it is getting stuck. Any ideas? Please help!

·
Premium Member
19,764 Posts
Either it is rusty and won't move freely, or the spring that retracts it is broken.
On the 1885 the firing pin free floats so no spring. I thought it might be the FP too but since it is supposed to move freely i didn't mention it. Goat boy i'll check my and try and see what's going on.

·
Premium Member
19,764 Posts
Ok checked mine out and unless i take down i can't see what might be going on with yours. Now I'm thinking you have at least undone the screw and cross piece that holds your 2 locking bars in. And removed them. If so can the block be pushed up through the top? Also check to make sure your extractor is pushed in.

·
Premium Member
19,764 Posts
So i watched his video again and when he removes the block and locking lugs he looks like he moves the hammer forward some. So is your hammer hitting the receiver when you try move everything down? Too bad the guy doesn't talk you through the video. He knows what he's doing and i guess figures everyone else does too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts