1894 Reloading Tool

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

griz
    (5/6/02 8:46:40 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All 1894 Reloading Tool
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Have any of you fellers ever used or had any experience with the 1894 Winchester reloading tool? Any ideas on where to get instructions on how to use one? Have seen some advertized recently for 30 WCF and 38-55 with Feb. 1894 Winchester patent markings. Did they also make them for the other 1894 Winchester calibers e.g. 32-40, 32 Spec. and 25-35? Was thinking it might be fun to pick one up to go with the old winchester collection and have something to do like load one old cartrige at a time while watching TV instead of having to set up the whole reloading bench and run off a couple hundred at a time. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide...

Griz

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (5/7/02 7:33:15 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 1894 Reloading Tool
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gonna be kinda tough to find one of those.....but you can do the same thing with a Lee Hand Loader.

Edited by: Xracer at: 5/7/02 8:36:40 am

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (5/7/02 7:36:16 am)
    The editors at Reloader Magazine probably could help you with that Winchester loading device, they know their Winchesters too.

GG

ldsteff
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/7/02 10:09:59 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del reloading
    I have a lyman 310 tong tool,with .223 and .308 dies-I used to take it to the field to load up a few rounds with a particular powder/primer and slug.With a tackle box for goodies you can load all you need right out of the trunk of your car. I still use it when I want to perfect a load for target shooting..I recently saw several for sale on EBay really cheap. Its a cool way to get up a load for mass loading,you get the best you can then you load..

Ross95966
    (5/12/02 3:30:22 pm)
    Griz,
    While perhaps a little tedious, the '94 tool is an extremely interesting tool to use. It will easily full length size a badly bulged case or reform a larger case with the great mechanical advantage of its cam action.
    I've never seen directions for use for the Winchester tools, but there must be some old leaflets out there somewhere.
    There were quite a few different calibers offered, nearly three dozen. One of these tools would add interest to your old Winchester.
    There is a website devoted to the collection of old loading tools.
    <<www.oldshootingtools.org/...1894html>>
    Cheers from Darkest California,
    Ross

Ross95966
    (5/12/02 3:38:00 pm)
    Alas the link failed me. This will get you there, even if you have to type it in.
    Cheers,
    Ross
    <oldshootingtools.org>

griz
    (5/12/02 6:11:13 pm)
    Hey...thanks a bunch guys. Have a line on one that includes the decapping pin part which I understand is nearly always missing from these tools, being small and easily lost apparently. Hopefully the decapping pin will fit other 1894 reloading tools of different caliber in case we run on to another tool someday. Really appreciate that link to "oldshootingtools" Ross, some real interesting stuff there I didn't know about.

griz