The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope Bert H. catches a look at this! LOL

My Grandfather was a member of the Royal Northwest Mounted Police for a time,

beginning in 1906. He purchased this carbine NEW, in 1906, but I do not know if it

was a special order (due to the tang sight). It's in 25-35 Winchester caliber, and stamped

into the forend is his regimental number, (4340) he was a sergeant.

Brown Couch Tan Shotgun Everyday carry

Brown Couch Tan Shotgun Beige

No, she will never be for sale. I WILL, however, fire a few rounds at paper just to say

I did, and to pay homage to Grampa. When my time comes, I hope to donate her to

the RCMP museum.

@Bert H. - do you have any opinions or comments? Thanks in advance!

The_Doctor

·
Registered
764 Posts
The tang sight is a Lyman No. 1, and they were available on special order. The gun itself is completely standard. What is the serial number?

Bert H.
WACA Historian

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for replying, Bert! Yes, I understand the carbine is completely standard,

(except for the Lyman sight) and I just wanted to share a piece of history with everyone.

The serial number is: 365647

Where the TRUE value of this rifle is, is in its history.

The_Doctor

·
Registered
764 Posts
Thanks for replying, Bert! Yes, I understand the carbine is completely standard,

(except for the Lyman sight) and I just wanted to share a piece of history with everyone.

The serial number is: 365647

Where the TRUE value of this rifle is, is in its history.

The_Doctor
Per the original Winchester serialization records, your Model 1894 SRC was manufactured in August of 1907 versus 1906. Accordingly, it most likely has the "August 14, 1894" patent date error marking on the barrel. The correct patent date marking should read "August 21, 1894", but in the year 1907, one of the die makers goofed and made a die that had the wrong date on it. Please confirm what the actual patent date is.

The Cody Firearms Museum records office can (for a fee) provide a letter confirming the exact date of manufacture.

Bert H.
WACA Historian

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got home from work and snapped a couple of pictures outside in good sunlight!

The second photo is Grandad's regimental number.

Composite material Steel Aluminium

Brown Maroon Tan Material property

Brown Line Iron Grey Metal

Thanks once again for your input, Bert!

The_Doctor

·
Registered
764 Posts
You are welcome.

Thus far I have now confirmed (surveyed) 34 Model 1894s with the patent date error marking, nearly all of them manufactured in the year 1907. The attached picture is how it should have been marked;

Text White Line Pattern Colorfulness

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
You are welcome.

Thus far I have now confirmed (surveyed) 34 Model 1894s with the patent date error marking, nearly all of them manufactured in the year 1907. The attached picture is how it should have been marked;
That is interesting, for sure - would the error make a difference in intrinsic value? Like a coin

double - strike or other minting error? It does seem as though it's an easily missed but

rare mistake!

In any even, she won't be for sale, but will be donated (when my time comes) to the

RCMP museum, if they would like it.

The_Doctor

Thanks again, Bert!

P.S.
(Maybe later, we can talk about my first-year model 1892... :D)

·
Registered
764 Posts
That is interesting, for sure - would the error make a difference in intrinsic value? Like a coin

double - strike or other minting error? It does seem as though it's an easily missed but

rare mistake!

In any even, she won't be for sale, but will be donated (when my time comes) to the

RCMP museum, if they would like it.

The_Doctor

Thanks again, Bert!
Unlike mint errors on coins, there is no premium value for a mismarked Winchester. It is just an interesting anomaly. Yes, it is an easily overlooked, but it is not exceptionally rare mistake.

Bert H.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unlike mint errors on coins, there is no premium value for a mismarked Winchester. It is just an interesting anomaly. Yes, it is an easily overlooked, but it is not exceptionally rare mistake.

Bert H.
Great info, Bert, and I searched for and found two photos of Grandad with this very rifle!!!

The year could be 1907 - very little documentation exists.

Halter Bridle Horse Horse tack Horse supplies

Horse Working animal Horse supplies Bridle Pack animal

Harry was his faithful horse - with skills better than GPS. On more than one occasion,

he returned Grandad to the RNWMP post in blizzard conditions with no guidance.

R.I.P. Harry; R.I.P. Alexander R. Douglas.

The_Doctor

·
Registered
764 Posts
Great info, Bert, and I searched for and found two photos of Grandad with this very rifle!!!

The year could be 1907 - very little documentation exists.

View attachment 130040

View attachment 130041

Harry was his faithful horse - with skills better than GPS. On more than one occasion,

he returned Grandad to the RNWMP post in blizzard conditions with no guidance.

R.I.P. Harry; R.I.P. Alexander R. Douglas.

The_Doctor
Awesome pictures! There is nothing like having a few historical pictures to go with that old SRC.

Bert H.
WACA Historian

·
Premium Member
15,233 Posts
Absolutely wonderful!!!

Reactions: The_Doctor
1 - 13 of 13 Posts