The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,
As I stated in my last post, which I got a tremendous amount of help with, I have a 1895 Winchester (TD) .30 U.S. MOD. 1903 with a No-Go headspace issue and less than ideal rifling's. Tomorrow I'm going to a gunsmith to check on repairing it.
I'm considering re-boring it to 405 Win. If it's with-in my budget. What I'd like to know if anyone can tell my things I may need to do so I'll know what I'm talking about when I see the gunsmith tomorrow, or at least what questions I need to ask him. For example, will I need to change the magazine or just internal workings of the magazine? Will I need to change the bolt, or just reface it? How about the extractor does it need to be replaced? If there's too much expense I may have to settle for just repairing the head space issue, or re-chambering to 30-06 and leaving the rifling' alone.
Everyone's opinion is very much appreciated, I'm sure some of you will have knowledge of, and answers to these questions.
Thank You All,

'RedDog'

·
Registered
17,006 Posts
The thing I've been wondering about since the 405 was mentioned, is - is there enough meat in the walls of that 30 caliber barrel to drill a 40 caliber hole?

Just seems to me (and I don't know for sure) that they would use larger barrel stock for the bigger bore.

Reactions: 'RedDog'

·
Registered
23 Posts
The thing I've been wondering about since the 405 was mentioned, is - is there enough meat in the walls of that 30 caliber barrel to drill a 40 caliber hole?

Just seems to me (and I don't know for sure) that they would use larger barrel stock for the bigger bore.
Alpo,
Yes I was wondering the same thing, but the barrel looks plenty beefy, and the chamber itself shouldn't have to be changed much, it's just not necked down like a .30-06 is. And it's loaded at 44,000 psi VS 60,000 in the 30-06
I don't know anything about re-loading so I'd like to shot factory loads, but that's why I made this post, so I can get everyone's opinion to help me form my own.
'ReeDod'

·
Premium Member
11,649 Posts
Whether or not the chamber has to be changed much is almost a moot point. It is still going to require a reamer and the barrel be removed from the action. After that it's just about all the same.

Not all gunsmiths re-bore and re-rifle barrels. I believe it highly likely most don't so I suspect you're going to have to find one of the guys who does. If your 'smith doesn't he can very likely refer or suggest someone. Regardless of whether he does or not if he's worth his salt he should be able to tell you if there's enough barrel wall thickness for the re-bore. I suspect the bolt face will have to be re-worked and if so that will include the extractor. However, there is only .009 difference between the -06/-03 and the 405 with the -06 being .470 and the 405 at .461 according to COTW.. I don't believe that would present a problem with a break action firearm but I honestly don't know about a lever rifle. That's right on the edge of another kind of "go-no go" according to my understanding.

Factory ammo is available in some places. What I could find ran from about $42.00 to $65.00 a box of 20 plus shipping. That would induce me to become a handloader.

If there isn't enough meat in the barrel, and I truly don't know, you might look at some of the other old Winchester cartridge for which the Model 95 was chambered. The 35 Winchester was and still is a fine cartridge as is the 38-72. There should be plenty of steel in the barrel for either of those. Buffalo Arms lists both cartridges but as currently unavailable. To my surprise they also list the 30-03 and specifically mention "THIS IS NOT 30-06 AMMO". However it is also currently unavailable. Here's a link to them. Given your current interest you might find it fun to browse their site.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/30_03_Government__Ammunition_it-157981.aspx?CAT=4445

http://www.buffaloarms.com/35_Winchester_Ammunition_it-158010.aspx?CAT=4445

http://www.buffaloarms.com/38_72_Winchester_Ammunition_it-158017.aspx?CAT=4446

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Sharps is right on the re boring issue, most gunsmiths won't have the equipment to do it, but they usually know where to send them out to have it done. And they should be able to tell you what you need to do to the magazine and extractor, Winchester offered this rifle in .405 so it should be a simple parts swap rather than a job requiring a lot of custom machine work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Whether or not the chamber has to be changed much is almost a moot point. It is still going to require a reamer and the barrel be removed from the action. After that it's just about all the same.

Not all gunsmiths re-bore and re-rifle barrels. I believe it highly likely most don't so I suspect you're going to have to find one of the guys who does. If your 'smith doesn't he can very likely refer or suggest someone. Regardless of whether he does or not if he's worth his salt he should be able to tell you if there's enough barrel wall thickness for the re-bore. I suspect the bolt face will have to be re-worked and if so that will include the extractor. However, there is only .009 difference between the -06/-03 and the 405 with the -06 being .470 and the 405 at .461 according to COTW.. I don't believe that would present a problem with a break action firearm but I honestly don't know about a lever rifle. That's right on the edge of another kind of "go-no go" according to my understanding.

Factory ammo is available in some places. What I could find ran from about $42.00 to $65.00 a box of 20 plus shipping. That would induce me to become a handloader.

If there isn't enough meat in the barrel, and I truly don't know, you might look at some of the other old Winchester cartridge for which the Model 95 was chambered. The 35 Winchester was and still is a fine cartridge as is the 38-72. There should be plenty of steel in the barrel for either of those. Buffalo Arms lists both cartridges but as currently unavailable. To my surprise they also list the 30-03 and specifically mention "THIS IS NOT 30-06 AMMO". However it is also currently unavailable. Here's a link to them. Given your current interest you might find it fun to browse their site.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/30_03_Government__Ammunition_it-157981.aspx?CAT=4445

http://www.buffaloarms.com/35_Winchester_Ammunition_it-158010.aspx?CAT=4445

http://www.buffaloarms.com/38_72_Winchester_Ammunition_it-158017.aspx?CAT=4446
Hello sharps4590,
Thanks for the info, I'm just about to head out to see my gunsmith, I think he can do the job because I know he has a machine shop and has the ability to make some parts that can't be bought. He worked on a buddy's late 1800's Savage Lever action.
Thanks for the help,
I'll let you know what he says.
'RedDog'

·
Premium Member
11,649 Posts
The collector value is already compromised by the re-blue and re-stocking. However, I agree, I'd stay with the original cartridge and make it work and yes, it is going to be pricey.....but I've done worse...:D

Griz is right....I never thought of just changing the bolt....duuhhhh..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, from the two gunsmiths I spoke with I think it will be two expensive to re-chamber and re-bore. Actually one said go ahead and shoot 30-06, the other said no don't !!!
The headspace is about 0.005 over the No-G0 sizing tool, which is probably ok as long as the pressures are keep down to original 30-03 Ammo specs. (My Opinion Only) So preferably what I think would be best is to find some 30-03
We'll, that's easier said than done, I can back order some from Buffalo Arms for $73.50 for a box of 20, that's way high just to get some brass that's correct for a 30-03, or maybe I'll just buy some new 30-06 brass and try to find someone I can trust to load it light for me with 220gr bullets (left 1/16" out further than normal. I know nothing about re-loading but in need to find a load that won't go over 45,000 psi
Buffalo Arms says loads to 45,000 psi with a 220gr bullet gives about 2000 fps.
So how about it folks, anyone have any suggestion for me? I hate to be a pain in the butt to you guys who have been so helpful already, but I sure like to shot my new gun sometime soon. All help is much appreciated.
'RedDog'

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No matter what you do, it's going to be expensive. I'd try to stay with the original caliber...what's stamped on the barrel. Change that and you ruin any resale value.
Yes, I think you are right. Now to try to locate some. Buffalo Arms (temporary out of stock) has it for $73.50 a box !!! That wouldn't even be too much if I could find someone who I could trust to re-load it for me once I have some brass.
Thanks for your opinion on this,
'RedDog'

1 - 10 of 10 Posts