The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,
I'd greatly appreciate a bit of advice since I've been fighting with this for several days now.
I got a very dirty and rusted 1870-1890 Belgian British Bulldog a few weeks ago and I took it apart for cleaning/conservation. I'm a novice to antique firearms, but rather experienced in general. All is good except for the really strong flat V spring under the trigger - I just can't compress it enough to make it go back under the trigger again.
Am I missing something? Is there some kind of a trick to putting it back?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mechanical compression (pliers.)
I can compress the spring outside the frame just fine, but the problem is that the the spring groove is deeper than the spring can be compressed to allow it to get under the trigger "lip". I can't find a way to keep the spring compressed while inserting it in the groove without the trigger installed. If the trigger is installed, I'm not seeing a way to insert the compressed spring under it. When installed, the spring is held in place only by that trigger lip. Hope my explanation makes sense.

The schematic is not the exact model match, but it's close enough.

Attachments

·
GUNZILLA
6,197 Posts
Try using a small 2" C clamp with a hex nut or any metal rod or Allen wrench just that will sit on top and is the same width as the spring and compress it with the c clamp. Bolt extractor pliers are shaped like they could do the job too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, that was a major d'oh moment (several days of duh actually).
I was installing the spring wrong - whoever re-assembled it previously somehow put it upside down (I took photos before the disassembly; and the schematics I found also all showed the same).
I just thought I'd try the other way for giggles and... holy cow... all worked.
Thank you everyone.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The long leg goes down, away from the trigger. Otherwise it will just pop out. Remove the grips and grab the grip frame in your bench vice. Start with the spring almost vertical and a screwdriver between the bow of the spring and the front strap of the frame. Work it down and in and use the screwdriver to push it back the last bit. It will pop down and stay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts