The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1900s Colt's New Pocket 32

I inherited my great-grandmother's Colt 32 revolver.

Stamped into the top of the barrel it says:
COLT'S PAT FIRE ARMS MFG CO
HARTFORD CONN U.S.A.
PAT'D AUG 5 1884 JUNE 5, 1900

On the left side of the barrel it says:
COLT. D.A. 32

On the left side of the gun there is a horse and around the horse it says:
COLT'S NEW POCKET

On the bottom of the handle it has a five digit serial number which begins with 246, which I believe means it would have been made in 1904.

The handle is smaller than a typical handle. It measures 3 inches. I was told it was made for a woman. It fits perfectly in the palm of my hand. The barrel is 3 inches long (if I'm measuring it correctly); the gun measures approx. 6 inches long from tip of barrel to end of trigger. See photos in reply below.

History of the gun: My great-grandmother was a cousin to The Hatfield's and learned to shoot from "The Devil" Anse Hatfield. She was an excellent marksman, won awards, & had quite the reputation for shooting. My grandfather (her son) also learned to shoot from Anse. My grandfather was hand picked by General Patton to be on the US Pistol Team during WWII. My father went to The Citadel, was a career military officer, and is an excellent marksman. I give you the family history to illustrate they know their guns and took excellent care of them most especially this piece of family history. I however know little about guns. My dad recently gave it to me for my own personal use and has encouraged me to take it to the range.

How much is this revolver worth? I have no desire to sell it. I would like to put the gun on my home owners insurance policy but wasn't sure how to go about appraising or estimating its value. Hopefully someone here can help.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
That is the older .32 Pocket Model. The grip is normal, and almost identical to the S&W I frame of the period. Those guns were made to be carried in the pocket and the grip was short and rounded for that reason, not specifically for use by women.

Those guns were chambered for either the .32 Long Colt cartridge or the .32 S&W Long, a "fatter" round. The latter is still made; the ,32 Long Colt is not. There is no external indication of which cartridge a given gun takes. Trial and error is the only way to be sure; If .32 S&W Long won't fit, the gun is made for .32 Colt.

Value of that gun would run around $400, more if the grip had not been chipped.

Check with your insurance agent, but unless a gun is very valuable, a separate rider would not be necessary. Guns are generally covered under the personal property clause, same as cameras, electronic equipment, and other valuable items.

Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts