The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two 1903-A3 receivers I'd like to know a fair value of. The first one is a chrome 1903-A3 receiver with Timney trigger. It's in beautiful condition, serial number dates to 1943.
The second one is a parkerized 1903-A3 receiver, all stock, has a Remington bolt. It dates to 1943 as well. Not much of a photographer, these look better in person than the pictures show. I do intend to sell these.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
I can't tell you what they're worth but both have had the bolt handles replaced with sporter handles. If they're drilled and tapped for a scope their collector value is gone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't tell you what they're worth but both have had the bolt handles replaced with sporter handles. If they're drilled and tapped for a scope their collector value is gone.
Thanks for the reply. Neither is drilled for scope mounts. The bolt handle on the chrome one is marked B&S, I figured it wasn't original. The bolt handle on the park one has an R on it.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Hard for me to tell if the bolt on the parked one has been modified with out more pictures of it. The other has been modified. The bolt with the "R" is a Remington bolt. I don't remember if SC made their own bolts or used Remington bolts or barrels That can be researched.

They could be the basis for a decent sporter rifle although being produced during wartime the 03-A3's had some tolerances loosened up a bit and rougher finishes were allowed for manufacturing expediency. They were just not finished as nicely as the 03's. IMO the receivers are worth in the $200-$300 range.

·
Registered
7,679 Posts
Two or three hundred would be a fair price for the parkerized receiver - maybe up to $200 for the chromed receiver. It would be a shame to make sporters out of either one. These could be used to make up complete 1903A3 rifles. It would make far more sense to buy a complete modern sporter/hunting rifle than it would be to butcher these receivers.

For the cost to build a 1903A3 from these - by the time/money spent on a barrel, stock, bands, sights - you'd have to spend as much for labor and parts as it would be to just find a complete 1903A3. It would be personally rewarding just to rescue them for the future. The good thing is that many existing rifles like these were refurbished/rebuilt in Government Arsenals, so building one back up wouldn't exactly be 'making a fake'. It wouldn't be the same (IMHO) as building a Luger from parts and claiming it was an authentic P08.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hard for me to tell if the bolt on the parked one has been modified with out more pictures of it. The other has been modified. The bolt with the "R" is a Remington bolt. I don't remember if SC made their own bolts or used Remington bolts or barrels That can be researched.

They could be the basis for a decent sporter rifle although being produced during wartime the 03-A3's had some tolerances loosened up a bit and rougher finishes were allowed for manufacturing expediency. They were just not finished as nicely as the 03's. IMO the receivers are worth in the $200-$300 range.
Thanks for the reply. From what I understand the correct bolt for a SC would be marked with an X, whether they produced them themselves I have no idea. I do know SC made far less rifles than Remington did. Honestly I probably won't ever do anything with either one and if I did I'd put it back original. I bought them from a friend's father estate just because they were there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Two or three hundred would be a fair price for the parkerized receiver - maybe up to $200 for the chromed receiver. It would be a shame to make sporters out of either one. These could be used to make up complete 1903A3 rifles. It would make far more sense to buy a complete modern sporter/hunting rifle than it would be to butcher these receivers.

For the cost to build a 1903A3 from these - by the time/money spent on a barrel, stock, bands, sights - you'd have to spend as much for labor and parts as it would be to just find a complete 1903A3. It would be personally rewarding just to rescue them for the future. The good thing is that many existing rifles like these were refurbished/rebuilt in Government Arsenals, so building one back up wouldn't exactly be 'making a fake'. It wouldn't be the same (IMHO) as building a Luger from parts and claiming it was an authentic P08.
Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't butcher these, and if I was to build one up I wouldn't make a sporter. Like you I would do it just for the pleasure of doing it. I'll probably just take them to a gun show and trade them for something.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Just a quick addition. I don't believe the color of the dark (black) is right. It should be the gray/green color of the bolt parts of the chromed one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a quick addition. I don't believe the color of the dark (black) is right. It should be the gray/green color of the bolt parts of the chromed one.
Actually it is a gray/green like the chrome one's bolt when looked at in sunlight. Lack of proper light, patience and photography skills bit me again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's some pics, the B&S bolt on blue was in the chrome receiver, the R marked bolt on blue is
from the parkerized receiver.

·
Premium Member
13,161 Posts
B&S marked bolts were produced during the war by Brown and Sharp and intended for use as replacement parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts