The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1903 Hammerless Colt .32 ACP

Fires well. Replaced barrel and handgrips. One original handgrip missing. But still have original bolt and handgrip. Aftermarket replica handgrips on it currently.

Im considerign using its value to fund a 1911.

Thanks for all your thoughts, experience and expertise.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I would say that guns in that condition (mechanically sound but with very worn finish) are slow to sell nowadays at a gunshow or gun store for anything but a rock-bottom price. A much higher value can be obtained by selling it on an internet auction website, since then you are tapping into the national market. But that is more effort and expense, of course.

I can't make a good estimate for either method of sale. There was just a discussion here about whether the Blue Book or the Standard Catalog of Firearms should be used to estimate values; perhaps someone with a copy of the preferred one will be along shortly.

Sorry not to be more helpful. Colt 1903's are classic guns, but I don't think they are in the SAA or 1911 category yet, where people will pay big money even for worn examples. I could be wrong about that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I saw one in a little better shape go for $420 on *********. Mines not at that level in terms of finish.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
There is no difficulty in pricing this weapon, as it falls into the "cheap house gun" category. Such guns are of quality construction, still functional, capably of using modern ammunition, but the cosmetic condition has deteriorated to where the value is minimal. Typically, these weapons sell for around $200, give or take a few bucks depending on the willingness of the buyer and/or the seller.

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
I may be interested in buying it. How much are you looking to get from it? My local FFL will do transfers for private sales for me for $20.

I'd be willing to pay around $130 - $140 for it since I'd like it in my collection. New grips for it will cost me around $35. It's a well built pistol and I don't have anything in 32 ACP. Chevy's pistol with the original box and papers is likely worth in the $400-$500 range and that I can't afford.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i have a colt model 1903 with original box and papers. its in great condition. i was wondering if there was anyone here who would know the value and worthyness of this gun. it is a .32 and would hold .380. any help would be appreciated:)
It's a .32 and would hold .380? :confused: Not to mention you hijacked the OP's original post.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts