The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father passsed away and left me this a Springfield 1903 30-06 serial number 1528357. He used it for years with much success. i believe he had it modified for hunting, but I don’t know how much. The stock has a cheek rest that I don’t see in other posts of this rifle. It has a redfield sight. There is also a metal Remington shoulder pad. Action is great. The stock is clean only minor scratches. The barrel is clean. What should I sell it for?

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,856 Posts
I like it but I am not a 1903 expert. Someone will be along eventually and you will get more info than you need. Manufactured between 1937 and 1939 I think. That is an aftermarket monte carlo sporter stock. I don't know if those sights were ever on an issue rifle or not. May be sights for National Match which were made until 1940? I'm guessing here. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
11,217 Posts
The gun has been sporterized although it looks like they did a nice job. Some pictures of the entire rifle would probably help getting an accurate estimate. I know sporter ‘03’s around here run in the $350 range. Seems to me I read one of the guys commenting on a sight similar to yours being worth a fair amount so like tuckerd said, let’s wait for one of the pros to see what they have to say.

May I suggest before you sell your dad’s rifle that you take it to the range. ;)

·
Banned
1,998 Posts
It is a well done sporterizd 1903. The sights are not original but are a very nice addition. The stock looks like a commercial model with checkering from the manufacturer. It could possibly be a Herters stock? If the bore is good the gun is in the 350 to 400 dollar range. The rear sight alone is worth about 75 to 100 by itself. Ask 450 and let the buyer make you an offer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.