1903 springfield followed me home.

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by 2A-Jay, Mar 25, 2017.

1. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member

Wow, that was fast, I wonder how many were bought by Gun Shop owners looking to turn them into a profit. The few '03's I have seen around here were selling for between $900 and $1100 and were not in very good condition. And hey were all '03s not '03A3s. So far I have only seen 4 of them in Gun Shops in the past month, though one of the shops had and M1 in very nice condition for $3500 and it sold very quickly.

2. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

That is pricey for an '03, but those Remington '03s are really, really nice. But - seeing as to how they are not making any more original 03s, maybe the price isn't that bad after all. Just think about all of those rifles "sporterized" in garages back in the 60s:(.

3. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member

My Uncle Sporterized his "03A3 in the 60's. He told me that he made a BIG Mistake by doing so, and he only shot 5 rounds through it After shortening the Barrel and putting a stock on it that has a butt that is both too thin and too narrow, it is a shoulder basher even with a butt pad on it. He gave it to one of his son's about 6 months ago, same story 5 rounds, will never fire it again. As it stands right now the Scope on it is worth more than the rifle to them.

4. jim brady

I recall someone here on TFF had an 03A3 barrel for sale recently....... If the receiver isn't drilled and tapped.....Just saying.;)

accident likes this.
  5. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member

It really wouldn't do much good for them now unless they would buy an '03A3 stock to go with it.

6. jim brady

Those 03A3 stocks are not all that expensive (at least compared to the standard 03 stocks). Stocks for the 03s are CRAZY expensive on Eb**, but the 03A3s are way less than half as much (and more common). SAARCO used to sell what they called "Springfield Parts Kits", and they also had 03A3 stocks (some of the kits even included stocks).

If you do look on Eb**, make sure you know what stock is what - most of the folks there do not know the difference. I often see what they sell as "1903 Springfield Stock" are often really 03A3s (a quick way to tell the difference is the 03A3 has no finger grooves on the fore end but do have an inlet for the hand guard ring).

7. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member

The stock on my '03 is the original stock, it does not have the Finger Grooves. I never saw the original stock on my uncles '03A3 so I can't make a comment on it.

8. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That is a rifle that I've always wanted.Even as a kid,hunting with my "garage sporterized" Spanish Mauser,I knew that the crown jewel was a 1903 springfield. Back then most of the men wanted "sporterized" '03's.

9. jim brady

I don't know if this was brought up earlier or not, but yours may be correct for your rifle, even with out the finger groove stock as found on the early 1903 Springfields and Rock Islands. Most all of the early rifles were arsenal refinished and re-issued for service in WW2. I read years ago that even most of those rifles with good stocks were re-stocked, with the idea that the 25 year old wood was better replaced with fresh stocks for combat service.

10. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member

Through research here and another site the stock is original to my rifle. Though the bolt and the butt plate may not be. I know the follower is not as it is stamped with a W meaning it was originally in a M1917. I am still trying to nail down the Lower Band, seems some of the 1942 made rifles had a Milled Lower Band and some had a Stamped Lower Band.