The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tell me about this 3006 bolt gun.

buddy has one and wants to trade it for an sks and shotgun I have.

I'm inclined to trade as I have surplus sks and more shotguns than are healthy.

wood looks good. bore is mirror,, metal looks great.

has some kind of a rear aperature sight.. and a front blade with a detachable hood. action functions smooth.. feels good.

being an 03a3 it's obviously not early. IE.. not an 03 under 800k , as i've heard those have a weaker action, pressure wise.

any info here?

thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Depends on what you want, I would trade in a heart beat no matter what the ser # is. Rifles below 800k did have some problems but very few failures, they survived 2 world wars so that has to account for something. I do alot of traveling with my job in my state and I hit every pawn shop and gun store I can looking for old surplus. I found a 03a3 for 799 and laid it away. my local Cabelas has the same rifle for 2,999.00. both are untouched and in near perfect condition. Cabelas also has a sporterized 1 for 450ish and was a sniper becaused it was scoped and no front blade. As for me I would trade. you can always get a cheap sks but 03a3 are going up and up.

·
Garandaholic
9,890 Posts
tell me about this 3006 bolt gun.

buddy has one and wants to trade it for an sks and shotgun I have.

I'm inclined to trade as I have surplus sks and more shotguns than are healthy.

wood looks good. bore is mirror,, metal looks great.

has some kind of a rear aperature sight.. and a front blade with a detachable hood. action functions smooth.. feels good.

being an 03a3 it's obviously not early. IE.. not an 03 under 800k , as i've heard those have a weaker action, pressure wise.

any info here?

thanks
Unless the 03a3 has issues it's an easy call, trade, trade now before he changes his mind.
You can find as much info you need about 03a3s here; http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=79

·
Premium Member
14,151 Posts
i just made the tell call, and I meet him at lunch tomorrow with his sks and shotgun, and he will be bringing me my 03a3.

:)
Sounds like a really great deal. Just make sure it isn't one of the commercially produced 03A3 clones - Federal Ordnance, National Ordnance, Santa Fe etc. They utilized cast receivers assembled with USGI parts, stocks and such, and their tolerances - both dimensionally and strength-wise - were questionable at best. If it's a USGI - Remington, Smith-Corona etc. - you've got a winner.

·
Registered
19,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'm at work right now. suposedly my buddy was gonna run it by the house and drop it off with my wife for me to look at tonight. Wifes already asleep, so I don't know if it made it over or not.

if it is in my gun room when i get home i'll send a pic over.

pics of it looked like it had green looking parerizing.

I know nothing about the 03 or a3 ( other than i heard the early 03 under 800ksn were possibly weaker ) I do have a garand and a carbine.. and a sporterized krag kicking around somewhere.. will need schooling on the a3

·
Super Moderator
47,724 Posts
I think you are getting the better end of the trade. When I got mine, it looked like someone had stored it up-right in a bucket of water. All the metal from the trigger guard down was rusted and the butt stock had some water damage. I replaced all of the metal. The steel butt plate covers most of the water damage so you really can't see it.

When you get it, go to this site: www.oldguns.net Look at the blue "stripe" down the left side of the page, go down to Manufacture Date and select U.S.Military. Once you get there, select the type and manufacturer and put the serial number in and it will tell you what year your gun was made.

Mine is a Remington and was made in 1943.

·
Registered
19,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
here's what i got:

The year of manufacture for serial number 4161XXX is 1942.

Remington 1903A3 production started in 1942 at number 3348086.

I blocked out the last 3 #'s just because. :)

pics are bad, sorry.. but the gun looks very decent. no rust. looks like green park. wood is ood. but has a blemish in the varnish on one side. looks like solvent melted the varnish or soemthing. bolt feels great.
so far.. if i'm reading wht you guys said correctly. then it sounds like i've done good. the guns i'm trading out i probably have 475$ of cost into... MAX, IIRC.. meaning i have 475$ into this 03A3.. which sounds good from what ya'll telling me.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
he had sent me pics of the bore. I couldn't get htem off email to post. but bore is bright with strong rifeling.

a small scratch in the park near the muzzle.. perhaps from the front blade shroud.

the sks and cheap auto shotgun i traded looked worse.. but functioned fine. good truck guns.

both of us walked away smiling, as he's been wantig an sks for a while and in our area they are still stupid priced.. 450+$ he needed a auto shotgun as his auto, a rem 11/12 has a broke stock on it right now.. broke at the thin part of ht egrip after the tang and the forewood split on the underside....so he's lookin to find another butstock and foregrip... so he's happy.. and I'm apparently lucky and happy :)

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
That's a fantastic rifle soundguy.

Its most likely got a 2 groove barrel. and are fine shooters.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.