The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am working on a Savage 1907 that a guy fired and the slide locked up on. I got everything apart and used a dental tool to hold the sear down so I could remove the slide. Everything on this gun is extremely worn. The sear was wore to nothing. I found a used one and then had a friend who is an expert is welding and has his own guns to weld up the edge of the slide where it was completely worn away. I used my jewelry files to restore the edge and now can get it to slide. Now that I am able to get it to slide it will not fire. Besides replacing anything is there something I am missing that is keeping the gun from firing once I got the sear to stay where it belongs.?

· Registered
9,535 Posts
Sounds like it is time to visit a gunsmith who knows older semi-automatics. Don't feel bad - I had a problem with an early German P38 pistol. Took it to the most reputable gunsmith in the Denver area. He knows Glocks and Sigs - but nothing about the older semi auto pistols. I ended up repairing it myself.

Before you do - have you tried the simple first? You say "it will not fire". Are you saying that you have cocked it (unloaded) and attempted to pull the trigger and let the hammer fall? I am not familiar with that model - so I'm flying blind here.

When you rack the slide back (the firearm is un loaded) - does the hammer stay in the 'cocked' position? If it doesn't - your sear trip isn't functioning. The Model 1907 and 1910 both use a "sear trip". Without proper repair parts - and having had welding done - it is going to take a good gunsmith to get you going. There are jobs that are above the skill levels of the home gunsmith. Best of luck! (Numrich used to list some of the parts for those models)

· Registered
19 Posts
I have a 1907, and I'm not going to be of any help, but the first time I took it out to test fire it, it went full auto due to a worn sear. It scared the crap out of me. I wound up flipping the firing pin assembly over and never had the problem again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts