The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

New to this forum, but not to firearms. I'm seeking some valued opinions from those of you have a better 'handle' on current gun values than I.

Pictured is my A1, that I'm reluctantly looking to sell in the near future (because I live in "knew Yawk"...and you never know what may happen in this state if you get my drift).

According to my research it was made by Remington Rand, Syracuse, NY in late 1944. Type 3. All markings seem to indicate it is a complete original, yet I'm looking to this forum for a critical review and perhaps validation in that respect.

Markings are as follows: 'FJA' near the slide lock, 'P' near the magazine release, barrel 'HS'. Grips are 'Keyes' with reinforced ring (mold #19 with a K within a star). The 3 mags that came with it are marked (on the toe) with a 'L' on one, a 'G' on another, and no mark on the third one.

If I've missed any important markings....please let me know.

Overall it is in great shape. It's been in my safe for 30 years when my dad died and passed down to me. Purchased around 1975 and has never been modified / altered in any way since that date. I think I've done a fair job with my photographic abilities, if not, I can retake them if further views are needed.

I look forward to your opinions, comments and possible fair-market value.
Bill

Attachments

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
You don't have to sell it - it only has 7 round mags right?
I wouldn't sell it for sure.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Some of those initials are inspectors marks. You can look them up here: http://proofhouse.com/cm/us_inspector.htm

For example: FJA is Frank J. Atwood Lt. Col., USA M1911A1 .45 Auto Pistols Made By Ithaca, Union Switch & Signal and Remington Rand, Remington .30 M1903A3 Rifles, National Postal Meter .30 M1 Carbine 1942-1944

HS is Harrison Shaler Remington-Rand M1911A1 .45 Pistols 1945

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi WHS, yes the mags only carry 7, but is the slippery slope to confiscation not too far down the road ? Another reason to sell it, is not to burden my children with the bureaucracy they'd have to deal with upon my passing.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
With all due respect, I really hope there arent too many more Americans so willing to give up their guns.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi EJKO

I'm looking to get a half-dozen or more opinions on its' possible value from this forum, before I can set a price. I will keep your info though.

Bill

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Hi WHS, yes the mags only carry 7, but is the slippery slope to confiscation not too far down the road ? Another reason to sell it, is not to burden my children with the bureaucracy they'd have to deal with upon my passing.
In that case it makes sense because the pistol is worth a couple thousand bucks+. I was at a gun auction last fall where a WWII 1911 went for $2,700 to an out of state bidder on a phone bid.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
DoubleD...trust me, I have others that my cold fingers can still wrap around !

Bill
Well, I just do things differently. They say I cant have a 30 round mag, I buy 30 of them. They say no ARs, I buy 10 of them.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
You cant beat a 1911 for home defense. but prices are high now so if your looking to sell it im sure you wont have any trouble these days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts