1911-A1

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

Tags:
  1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member Supporting Member

shooter45 us
    shooter45us
    (2/22/01 8:02:52 am)
    Reply 1911-A1
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Anyone starting to build a new 1911-A1 ? Any problems, Questions, experiences you want to share ? I'm building a new .40 cal. IPSC open class pistol and will have it done next week if everything goes OK.

Edited by: shooter45 us at: 2/22/01 9:12:57 am

Tac401
    Administrator
    (2/22/01 10:44:23 am)
    Reply Re: 1911-A1
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a original Ithaca U.S. Army 1911-A1 but I haven't
    built one yet.

Tac

shooter45 us
    shooter45us
    (2/22/01 12:08:42 pm)
    Tac, a few years ago I bought an Ithica made in 1943,I think, for $200. Someone had it chrome plated. It was the worst looking thing I had ever seen. I sent it to Accurate Plating and Weaponry and had the chrome chemically removed. All the markings were left intact. The frame slide fit was really loose so I sent it to my friend Ken Hallock and had it fitted ( not too tight) He fitted a barrel link , bushing and a 4 lb. trigger job. Then Parkerized the pistol. It shot and looked good. I could never bring myself to go the full custom route with this pistol, so I sold it. After reading your post, I wish I hadn't. Enjoy yours, Shooter

Bob In St Louis
    Bob In St. Louis
    (2/23/01 8:01:50 am)
    I have a couple of old Ruby pistols someone nickled or chromed. If it was worth it, I would have the crap removed. What did it cost you for the removal?
    Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

Tac401
    Administrator
    (2/23/01 8:33:24 am)
    Mine fortunately is in as close to 100% condition as it
    could be, it's tight and I can't believe how well it shoots,
    I traded a brand new Colt Delta Elite at a gun show in Tenn
    for it and I couldn't get out the door fast enough before
    this guy came to his senses LOL!

I have only fired around 50rds. through it to test function,
    reliability and accuracy.

Tac

shooter45 us
    shooter45us
    (2/23/01 9:18:46 am)
    Bob, to remove the chrome was $25. I dissembled the pistol and mailed the parts to them. Got it back in a week or two. If they dissemble, I think it was $15. more. They do great work. The Ithica looked like it had been chromed in a bumper shop, and was the worst job I'd ever seen. Give 'um a try. Shooter

Bob In St Louis
    Bob In St. Louis
    (2/23/01 9:27:25 am)
    It might be worth it for that price. I have one that looks alright from one side, but is peeling and flaking on the other. What is their address and phone number? Also, how far do you have to disassemble it? Just remove grips, barrel, mag, or do you have to get into all them interior parts?
    Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

shooter45 us
    shooter45us
    (2/23/01 10:34:20 am)
    Accurate Plating and Weaponry Inc. 940 Harbor Lake Dr. Safety Harbor, Fl. 34695. Ph. # ( 727) 796-5583. I dissembled the pistol and sent them every piece that had chrome on it. Looks like you'll have to take everything out of the frame. They also do refinishing, which will have to be done. I have a friend who does parkerizing at an affordable price. If you need info, send E-mail. Good luck, Shooter

Tac401
    Administrator
    (2/23/01 11:04:03 am)
    shooter,

Does your friend by chance do the military greyish style
    parkerizing?

Tac/SJD

shooter45 us
    shooter45us
    (2/23/01 11:17:49 am)
    Tac. The same. He spent 5 years assigned to the USAF gunsmith shop, at that time, part of the USAF Marksmanship School. I may still have a few original parts, although I traded some last week. I know I still have some sights and maybe a trigger and hammer. Oh, I almost forgot, I think $25 - $30 for finish. Shooter

Tac401
    Administrator
    (2/23/01 6:56:43 pm)
    shooter,

What parts do you have left and how much do you want for
    them ?

Also, how does one get a hold of your friend ?

Thanks, Tac

TYRVR
    (2/23/01 9:35:14 pm)
    I have the old Ithaca issue Pistol I used in S.E.Asia,it is sitting here beside Me as I write, I will keep it until My death, A friend brought it to Me, in the hospital in Hawaii, He removed it before MEDEVAC got it,still works just fine,

Tac401
    Administrator
    (2/23/01 11:04:03 pm)
    TYRVR,

I have a 1911-A1 U.S. Army 45 made by Ithaca, what kind
    is yours ?

Tac

shooter45 us
    shooter45us
    (2/24/01 12:31:10 am)
    Tac, I just got home . I'll look tomorrow and let you know what parts I have left. I'll never use this stuff so it will be cheap. E - mail me and I will let you know how to contact Ken. Check my profile for address. Shooter

Tac401
    Administrator
    (2/24/01 12:58:09 am)
    Thanks shooter!

Tac

TYRVR
    (2/24/01 7:50:21 am)
    Tac, My Ithaca is just like it was issued, except A little worn from use,finish wise, wartime manufacture,I still have the original belt & holster and clip pouch, that I drew with it, I have A dark drawer for it, and it lies there and dreams,of long gone battles and the sounds of so many foreign lands,and the memory of each hand that has grasped it in desperation,

Tac401
    Administrator
    (2/24/01 1:15:27 pm)
    Ty,

I keep mine in my safe and I have 2 original holsters for
    it but my favorite on is the holster that my brother brought
    home from the Army with him, the only bummer is that the
    brass bolster that holds the flap closed snapped off and
    the only way that I can see to replace it is to completely
    open up the entire holster and I really don't want to do
    that, I really like having this pistol in my collection,
    I have a good size military firearms collection ranging
    from WWI to date.

By the way, how is the accuracy with yours ?

Tac

TYRVR
    (2/24/01 5:37:10 pm)
    Tac, I don't recall ever shooting at A paper target,but it worked real well on everything else I shot it at,

Tac401
    Administrator
    (2/24/01 10:51:00 pm)
    Rodger that Ty!

Tac

Xracer
    Xracer
    (2/25/01 10:15:01 am)
    My competition gun is one I built some years ago.....

Essex frame, Remington slide (fitted & lapped to frame), National Match trigger, Mk. IV Series '70 NM barrel & matching collet bushing, MMC adjustable sights, long tang grip safety, Pachmayr grips & flat mainspring housing, enlarged ejection port, polished feed ramp, and a bunch of recoil springs (matched to whatever load I'm using).

One REALLY sweeeeeeet piece!

Tac401
    Administrator
    (2/25/01 11:29:25 am)
    Sounds like a nice piece, I'll bet it groups well.

Tac

shooter45 us
    shooter45us
    (2/25/01 1:48:11 pm)
    Tac, I found the parts. I have 2 sets of grips and a trigger. All in excellent condition. I just traded off a hammer, grip safety,and thumb safety. If you need them I can get them back. Let me know. Shooter

Tac401
    Administrator
    (2/25/01 2:00:11 pm)
    shooter,

Yeah if it's no hassle to you, I could use all of them,
    especially the hammer, grip safety and trigger but I will
    take all of them if it's not too much trouble.

Here is my email, you can also click on my profile(name)and
    get it.

sjdsports@hotmail.com

Tac

TYRVR
    (3/11/01 11:54:21 am)
    Talking about the old Uglys,put Me in the mind to shoot some of My Govt. models, so I loaded up My old Ithaca and A newly aqquired Remington Rand and took off to the range this A.M. carried couple hundred rounds, of mixed ball and Trick bullets I wanted to shoot up, and some hot 200Gr. Speer "Flying Coffee Cups" loaded with 7.8 Gr.s Unique,
    What Fun! everything worked well except the extra upper Assy. with the Bomar Rib, but I changed to A Hard ball spring, and it functioned flawless afterwards, the Rem.Rand shot really nice groups for an unaltered piece, but it has the wide short 1911 hammer, and it is A biting Wench!
    TAC, You asked about how the Old Ithaca does on paper,well, it prints one inch high, dead center with USA ball, ragged hole at 15 Yd.s I cannot see the sights well enough to do better, so I say it does O.K., Had some fun, but now must pay the "Piper" and clean the Monsters! if any one has some of these old warriours Hibernating in A dresser drawer- take them out for some Air, You'll both feel better,
    Tye, "Grinning like A Possum!"

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/11/01 12:02:54 pm)
    Exellent Tye,

Mine shoots well also, glad you had a good time and that's
    a pretty damn good group.

Tac
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board sjdsports@hotmail.com

Xracer
    (3/12/01 9:42:56 am)
    7.8 grains of Unique! RUN FOR COVER!

TYRVR
    (3/12/01 1:04:03 pm)
    You got that right X, I DO NOT advise anyone else to use this load! I used it in Years past in A S&W revolver, and just wanted to shoot them up, if I did not have Shok Buffs on all My spring guides, I would not have run them through My old Guns, thanks for pointing that out to Me, I ususally put A disclaimer in all reloading Stats, but didn't this time , I am grateful, to You, for reminding Me,

shooter45 us
    (3/12/01 1:21:51 pm)
    Tye, Glad you didn't use a Glock. lol . I'll bet the ol' 1911 did the " buck and roar " thing. How did the shock buff look when you tore in down ?

Rons Toys
    (3/12/01 1:46:32 pm)
    Man, you guys have wet my whisle on this one. I sold a Ithaca in as issue condition a while back, don't think it had more than a box through it. That was my dumber days. I have a complete Remington Rand parts set and I'm looking for the proper S/N frame to build up. After listening I got the bug to just put it on a Essex and have some fun.
    Ron

TYRVR
    (3/12/01 7:26:50 pm)
    Hey Shooter! good to see Your name again! the Buff was pretty much unmarked, I have shot that load before in full size Gun with A 18Lb. spring, and not even swell the unsupported area of the case! it is accurate, and while I have never run the figures on the RSP, I feel it is competitive with any Factory "Trick" bullet, and yes! It is fun to shoot the "Old Uglys" as they came from the Military,

Tac401
    Administrator
    (3/12/01 11:25:04 pm)
    I agree with you Ron,

I think I better get a better frame!

Tac
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board sjdsports@hotmail.com

shooter45 us
    (3/13/01 12:23:11 am)
    Tye, I kinda thought the shock buff would look like a piece of rubber shim stock. Those things almost last forever. The 1911 has to be the toughest pistol ever built. I think so anyway. I had one once that was found in the road. The slide was mashed hard on the rails. Took a while to get it apart, the rails were fine. After a little work and polishing on the slide, it shot good.

TYRVR
    (3/13/01 3:21:32 am)
    Yes Sir, they are tough old Guns,take A lot of abuse and neglect and still work,the only time I ever was concerned about Mine working was overseas , I took A hit in My magazine pouch! carried it on My left hip, and thought for the world I was shot to Hades! the round struck both Mag.s and blew chunks of metal debris everywhere, (Including My Glowing white Fanny!)worried the Dickens out of Me, until I coud get back and get some replacements,A Pistol with no Mag. or just the one Mag. is not conducive to A restful mind, I now own 18 "Wilsons" and uncounted G.I. specimens of same,

Xracer
    (3/13/01 9:17:07 am)
    Hey TY.....did you get a Purple Heart?

And do the VA Hospitals issue Prosthetic Posteriors?

TYRVR
    (3/13/01 7:59:09 pm)
    It wasn't My Heart that was purple, I rode sidesaddle for A few days, other than A few pieces of brass working their way out, never became infected, I washed it down with one of those little bottles of Iodine in the Aid Kit, and kept on, but You better believe I had extra magazines in My pack after that!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2003