The Firearms Forum banner

1911 Govm't model slides width ????

Tags
2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  RimfireRat 
#1 ·
I just took position of a Desantis NYPAD holster.marked for use with Colt Govt mod 45 ,Gold cup,Para P14, KMBr custom 1911, Royal 1911 . Problem is my 1911 70 series was such a tight fit it wasn't a workable holster.If I forced the empty gun into the holster I needed to put a wooden hammer handle to the frt of the gun and push down on the holster with my weight to remove it. this is with the retaining screw loose.:eek: A call to Desantis I was told the 70 & 80 series had a wider/thicker slide and would not work with thier hiolster.:confused: UH?? its' still a Govt mod. and they made no mention of 70 & 80 series not fitting .when I mentioned the hair dryer to refit it cum ser. lady kinda lost it...:eek: don't do that!!!! UH?? but aren't they formed by heat?? She didn't want to go there. Well I made a wooden mold of my guns slide size and used the hair dryer to resize it. Almost a perfect fit. Then i used the gun for another dance with the hairdryer and now i have a working holster. I was not aware of the 70 /80 series being a heavier slide?? Is this true ? And if they were an exception to the fit, the sizing list for the holster should have so been marked. Isn't the Gvot mod 70 series still a Govt mod.??:D ---RAT--

#3 ·
You should have sent the holster back.
:) I works fine now, but not everyone is as handy as i am figuring out how to fix problems. Fits well now with retention working as meant to.I was not aware of any difference in slide width.If this was an issue they should have made note to the fit on their site and on the pkge. If I had returned it I would have been out shippping. I had higher hopes on Desantis.:( Maybe is was a second and the Customer Ser. were talking heads.(run into that alot) but alls well that ends well. i'm happy with the results. Still didn't get an answer to my question though.--Rat--

#4 ·
Isn't the Gov't mod 70 series still a Govt mod.?? ---RAT--

I don't have an older Colt to measure but I'll bet the difference is hardly noticible. So, someone else will have to give us a measurement. Their explaination doesn't make much sense. I have never had a problem with any of my 1911's fitting any holster.

But, you solved the problem and that's all that matters. ( I would have still sent it back) ;)

#5 ·
Isn't the Gov't mod 70 series still a Govt mod.?? ---RAT--

I don't have an older Colt to measure but I'll bet the difference is hardly noticible. So, someone else will have to give us a measurement. Their explaination doesn't make much sense. I have never had a problem with any of my 1911's fitting any holster.

But, you solved the problem and that's all that matters. ( I would have still sent it back) ;)
YUP! your right.I thought a Govt' mod was a Govt' mod. been wrong before ,maybe again?? But like ya said, a little hands on fixed the prob.--RAT--

#6 ·
Rimfire, how'd the others fit?
The gal in customer service obviously is a 'front office' type, without much knowledge of what goes on in the shop, from her answer.
You did things the same way they are done, in the shop, with the hair dryer, and were it a leather holster, the only difference is to soak it in water, first!
Sometimes you gotta make some adjustments, to make a good product 'perfect'; sounds like you already know that, though!

#7 ·
Rimfire, how'd the others fit?
The gal in customer service obviously is a 'front office' type, without much knowledge of what goes on in the shop, from her answer.
You did things the same way they are done, in the shop, with the hair dryer, and were it a leather holster, the only difference is to soak it in water, first!
Sometimes you gotta make some adjustments, to make a good product 'perfect'; sounds like you already know that, though!
Yup i grew up a kinda hands on guy .my Dad was that way. when I got my first Contender a 10" 357 you couldn't find a holster for your life. I got ahold of some heavy cowhide and made my own ,Had the old fellow at the shoe store sew it up and set the snaps for me. Then soaked the leather ,put the gun in a heavy plastic bag and worked it with a wooden dowel for a while,Untill it streched and took the guns shape. then pulled the gun wiped 'er down real well and put 'er back in another heavy bag and into the holster overnite. Ya know what that was back around the early 70s and that holster still fits like a glove and it was made for THAT gun combo. I made a final adjustment on the DeSantis today ,I took the rubber grommet out where the tension screw is and put a thick o ring into the grouve of the grommet, now i can get the correct tension and still have plenty of tension on the screw that it won't tend to try to come lose. probably an unessessary fix. :) I can stand on my head and it wont come out ,do jumping jacks and it stay put ,but pulls free whan I want with out fighting with it. Sometimes ya just gotta do it yourself to get it do right--:D --JMJ--

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.