1911 holsters

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by AaronW, Nov 4, 2016.

1. AaronW

AaronW Well-Known Member

If I want to carry a 1911 cocked and locked should the OWB holster have something that covers the safety so its not accidentally disengaged or is that not really an issue? Looking at a lot of holsters and the IWB models seem to have the holster cover the safety the OWB models don't appear to do so.

Thanks!

carver likes this.
  2. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Unless you have one with an ambidextrious safety, it shouldn't matter. Your Ruger doesn't have ambi safety as far as I know.

dbcooper, carver and AaronW like this.

3. AaronW

AaronW Well-Known Member

Cool, I was kind of worried about the safety on the inside. And you are right about the SR1911. Thanks for the info.

dbcooper and carver like this.
  4. crystalphoto

crystalphoto Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Remember, it cannot fire, unless:
    a.) safety is off
    b.) grip safety is compressed
    c.) trigger is pulled.

All three have to happen at the same time.
    Practice (with the firearm unloaded) drawing and disengaging the thumb safety. Not for speed, but for muscle memory. Do this until it becomes natural... but not all at the same time... :)

Twicepop, gvw3, Fordpkup and 5 others like this.
  5. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Not an issue.

BobMcG, dbcooper and AaronW like this.
  6. AaronW

AaronW Well-Known Member

Awesome. Need to get a holster for it and you guys have answered my questions.

carver and dbcooper like this.
  7. AaronW

AaronW Well-Known Member

Good advice.

I was just looking at it and thinking, "What if my ample midsection somehow disengaged the safety by rubbing against it?"

8. AaronW

AaronW Well-Known Member

What do you guys think of kydex holsters? I was looking at a blackhawk holster with retention but just didn't think that would look right on a SS 1911. On my XD-9 sure, but I'm thinking the 1911 goes best with leather. I grabbed a De Santis thumb break style holster today but I'm going to take it back.

carver and dbcooper like this.
  9. zkovach

zkovach Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I've had many holsters of all different materials. I just bought from alien gear and I love it! I even bought their steel reinforced carry belt. I promise you won't be disappointed! As far as leather I've liked galco and desantis.

carver and AaronW like this.
  10. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

How do you like the belt? I have been thinking about one since they started asking previous customers what they would like to see in a belt!

carver likes this.
  11. zkovach

zkovach Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Belt is great very stiff and made well, I think they make 1.5" and 1.75". Which I got the 1.5 and it's plenty big. Also they suggest a larger size when u put in your waist measurements and it was spot on! I wear this belt all the time carry or not

carver, BobMcG, AaronW and 1 other person like this.
  12. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The kydex evel 2 retention holsters are good
    I like the belt loop style over the paddle
    Also Something to consider when carrying a heavy gun like that is that you need a good quality belt

13. Country101

Country101 Well-Known Member

Aaron, I use a milt sparks executive companion to carry with. It has a shield on the inside that keeps the safety from digging into you and is fitted well enough that it has a sizable indention that the safety rides in. My kimber does have an ambidextrous safety though and it does get switched off occasionally, especially in the woods, but not very easily. It is not something I am worried about with a 1911 though, for reasons stated above.

For hunting, I do carry the blackhawk serpa holster on a thigh rig. IT looks good that way, but I would not like it on my hip. One downside to kydex is that it is loud if if bangs on something and not the most friendly if it starts digging into you. That's why I like leather best, but I do like the retention and draw of the serpa for what it is.

14. AaronW

AaronW Well-Known Member

I found out that my Bianchi OWB holster that I use to carry my XDs-9 3.3" in actually fits the 1911 almost perfectly since the longer barrel just sticks out the bottom like on a lot of belt holsters. But the weight difference is noticeable. I usually wear a decent leather belt for my carry but this one is heavy and a real gun belt would be necessary I think. Well I ended up ordering an OWB holster from White Hat Holsters, who I got my IWB holster for my XDs from. So I got a leather and kydex holster for now, but I know I'll be buying more. You can never have too many holsters...or guns...
    [​IMG]

carver likes this.
  15. AaronW

AaronW Well-Known Member

I'll look into that belt, I'm going to need one.

carver and BobMcG like this.