The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for one to do more range practice. any suggestions on make? done a bunch lately with a Ruger mk3. nice shooter, but would like to have a 1911. cost is an issue. thanks in advance

·
Registered
266 Posts
I like my Colt/Walther/Umarex. It has never failed on me and is nicely accurate. The GSG looks like a nice pistol also and both are generally under $400.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Colt/Walther/Umarex, GSG, Sig Sauer and Chiappa all make 1911 22lrs. All but the Sig in flat dark earth finish are under $400.

Armscor/Rock Island Armory makes the XT22, a 1911 style pistol, but you won't find it for under $400.

Howa / Legacy Sports Citadel PCP191122 1911 22LR is another model I've seen bt don't know much about them. http://grabagun.com/howa-legacy-sports-int-pcp191122gov-1911-22lr.html

Browning makes a smaller version 1911 22lr. it is about 15% smaller, but you won't find for your budget limit.

Unless you already own a 1911, there are conversion kits in your budget.

Shoot often, be safe and have fun!

·
Armed Infidel
1,470 Posts
I love my Sig 1911. Ran several hundred rounds through it. Love that it comes with extra mag, tools, cable lock, serpa type holster and three interchangable front sights. I swapped to medium height and it shoots dead on now.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have a Kimber .22 conversion slide, which works fine with my 1911 .45 ACP. The conversion is supposed to work with any full-size 1911, but I use it with a Kimber. When in the .22 mode, the slide doesn't lock back when the last round is fired. I understand that this is the way it is designed. You can always pull back the slide manually, and engage the slide lock.

My conversion slide is stainless steel, which matches my stainless steel pistol - looks nice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently started doing the Two Gun Rimfire competition at my local gun club. Before I started, I went to watch to figure out what gear was needed. About 40% were GSG 1911-22. 30% were MK1, 2, or 3s. The rest were misc 22 pistols or 22 kits on standard 1911 frames. The GSG was by far the most popular.
I used my MK1 target model in the first shoot and it performed well, even with the slower/difficult mag release. I just picked up a GSG and will report back when I test it.
BTW, the 10-22 rifle is the undisputed king at that competition, over 90%.

·
Super Moderator
41,421 Posts
I have the Browning, which IS some smaller than the standard 1911. I also owned a Chiappa 1911-22 which is the same size as a 1911. The only problem I had with it was the fact that the trigger was horrible and never got any better. I thought that after a 1000 or so rounds the trigger would lighten up some but it never did.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the Marvel conversion on a Sig 1911 frame and love it. Removed the series 80 stuff to improve trigger pull and put a Leopold Deltapoint site on it.

·
Registered
846 Posts
The Browning was given a big SPLASH by the gun rag writers.

I chased one for most of 2012 (1 yr late for 1911-100 anniv) and finally quit.

They were a pretty nice gun for $600. All I ever saw were two stores with em in a presentation box and knife for $1200... yuk. I dont think my local store ever got more than one.. and everytime I asked, they just laughed and said No-many are asking.

Kinda like the Federal 327 Magnum.. another gun ruined by unavailability generate by gun mag writers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the Sig (GSG) 1911-22 which I bought at Cabelas about a month and a half back for 409.99. It was the kit with the Serpa holster, etc. Greta gun, shoots good nice (not great) trigger, real accurate. My only complaints are the flimsy sights (you gotta be careful with them) and the super pricey mags. But for that price, still a good deal IMO.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've read about problems with some of the 1911 clones in 22lr. But on most forums they say the SIG is the best one. For a non 1911 pistol in 22 caliber I think the CZ Kadet would also be my choice too. You know you can't have just one? The ruger Mk series target pistols are a high quality pistol too. Some say the high standard is another good one too

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a Marvel 22 conversion unit on a Colt frame. It is very accurate and has become my go to rimfire pistol. iIfound the unit used several years ago and have been very happy with it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
After several months of research, I decided on the GSG 1911-22. After upgrading with a CWA full guide rail and polishing the guide rails, she feeds any 22lr and never fails to feed or eject (unless the 22lr is defective, and that comes with the territory). The gun is wonderful with only one issue, finish of the slide assembly, it wears off easy but that's it. I've already put over 1,000 rounds and it just keeps shooting. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Uh, not so. SIG is Made and labeled "SIG" by GSG, who makes BOTH in their own factory ...
The COLT is made by WALTHER (Who is Waltham?) and simply Imported by Umarex and sold thru COLT dealers..

If you search.. you'll find COLT did not have all the Slide issues the GSG/SIG did.. because they were NOT the same.

And Yes.. the Chiappa is the Bottom of the heap

http://www.gsg-waffen.de/site/index.php/en/

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
forgot the final update. bought a used GSG 1911. like new condition. only have 20 rounds through it so far. 2nd 5 shot group was 1 1/2" at 10 yds. standing, near dark, in the snow rain mix. only a cookie sheet for a target. 4 thru a 1/2" oval, next 1 1/2 " to left. gonna be good

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
One thing to know about the Walther/ Sig is you must use hot .22 ammo in it. Ftf/fte are common with low power loads. I have shot one of the Walthers, and I like it. I have wanted a Ruger .22 for years!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts