The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have Officers Model 45. Wondered what modifications would be useful. The only thing that jumped to mind was an ambidextrous safety. Does anyone have any suggestions? The pistol is used primarily for plinking but is an important part of home self defense. Always loaded. No kids. You can't shoot anyone with an unloaded gun locked in a box.

·
Premium Member
10,053 Posts
Have Officers Model 45. Wondered what modifications would be useful. The only thing that jumped to mind was an ambidextrous safety. Does anyone have any suggestions? The pistol is used primarily for plinking but is an important part of home self defense. Always loaded. No kids. You can't shoot anyone with an unloaded gun locked in a box.
You state that you use it for plinkin, so you must have developed some experience with its reliablity and performance. Do you have any reliability issues? Any performance issues? Safety location issues? If not, just shoot it, continue to get familiar with it and get your family familiar with it. Enjoy the experience.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
The two most popular I find are better sights ie Fiber optic if your just plinking and adding a mag well. Neither are really performance enhancing its just a cool factor thing.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Night sights.
I suggest the Meprolight sights like my kimber has. Very visible day or night. I'm not impressed with a lot of other night sights. The insert is too small in most of them. The meprolight has a white ring around the insert that makes visibility better by reflecting some of the light as well as giving a better sight picture during the day.

Mag well would be handy and inexpensive as well.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
A Wilson Combat one piece guide rod setup sure helps an officers model.

No more spring squishing sound when the rack the slide, smoother and more dependable operation.

Keep the recoil spring maintained by replacing it every 500 rounds or so. I once thought that advice was crazy until I did it. The spring is short in an officers model and when the spring weakens the slide bangs the frame harder than it should.

Grips?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Even with death grip on the pistol while in a Weaver stance, I always got an unacceptable amount of muzzle flip out of my 80 Series Colt Officers Model. I had a gunsmith install the Ed Brown High Rise Grip Safety which moved my grip significantly up closer to the bore axis. It made follow up shots a lot quicker and the pistol much more pleasant to shoot. If you are handy with a file and basic hand tools, Ed Brown sells a frame modification jig which makes the high rise grip safety installation a viable DIY possibility. The link follows: http://www.edbrown.com/beavertail.htm

I am no longer a fan of ambidextrous 1911 side safeties. Over the years I have tried several of the "male/female snap knuckle connector" styles of such safeties and they all seemed loosen up on the off side over time. I did however go with an extended safety on the same officer's model that got the high rise safety. That seemed to be a quite nice functional pairing.

And I agree with GunHugger that a Wilson Combat guide rod is a welcome addition to the officer's model. That poor little officer's model short recoil spring takes a real beating, so replacement at 500 rounds is also an excellent idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.