The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Junior Advanced Senior Member In Training
7,586 Posts
Les Baer isn't listed. I own a Kimber. I am not sure I like being restricted to the OP's list. There are a plethora on fine craftsmen building fantastic 1911's. The OP's idea of "best" is very likely different than mine.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
What a "loaded" question. By best do you mean drag it through the mud and have it go bang, the most accurate, the prettiest...?
I believe the answer boils down to are you a Lexus or a Toyota kind of person? If you have to have a Lexus the Kimber, Christiansen arms type 1911 will appeal to you. If you would rather get a Toyota then RIA will do what you desire for a fraction of the cost.

·
Premium Member
20,104 Posts
I also have a Ruger CMD 1911. It is a fine handgun. Very accurate. If you were to hold the Ruger/Colt the Colt has the edge. If it shoots as good as the Ruger I give the Colt the better rating.

The finish on both guns is outstanding but the fit on the Colt is much better. For the dollar the Ruger is a better value but the Colt fits in my hand much better.

upload_2017-8-4_6-16-26.png

upload_2017-8-4_6-19-41.png

·
Deer Stalker
6,304 Posts
The Colt and Dan Wesson will retain their value and/or go UP in value over the years.

If you don't care about the investment part, personally I would say the top 3 are
Dan Wesson
Colt
Kimber.

That said, buy what you like and like what you buy.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Kind of a loaded question.
I have own several different 1911s and have to say I like the preWW1 the best. However since there is so few around and the prices are no longer affordable that it is no longer a viable option.
In that case ( please don't flame me) I like the 2016 Norinco sports model. If you get one that's a good shooter and not to mention they come with hard chrome barrels they will last you a life time. And they are cheap in price just like me.:)

·
Premium Member
7,580 Posts
For current production 1911s I have 2 Kimbers and a Sig. The Kimbers are both really good, nice features, great fit and function. However, for the same money the Sig is head and shoulders better. Smoother and tighter than the Kimbers, great trigger and way more attention to detail. My vote is Sig if you can get used to that squared off slide.

That said, I have a 40 year old 70 Series Mark IV, I have yet to shoot a modern production gun that compares to that Colt.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts