The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never been a 1911 'follower' though didn't dislike them either. just never put much thought into owning one. while back fell into a ballester molina.

finally got some range time and squandered some precious 45acp, and really like the gun.. shoots good. eats gi surplus mags no jambs.. darn accurate.. etc. good gun.. just a hair ugly as it has no finish and wood grips are oily..e tc.

how do 'real' 1911 owners feel about these types of guns. ballester molina, riguad, colt systema's..e tc.

so are these looked down on?

·
Registered
358 Posts
My first .45 was a Ballester, I have been beating myself up for the last 15 years for getting rid of it. I loved that pistol.

I consider you a very lucky person to have one. Congrats!

·
Registered
17,291 Posts
I don't know what a riguad is, but I got Colts, Springfields, Kimbers and AMTs. That would be "real" 1911s, right? Also got a Sistema, which is a Colt. Go ahead. Ask him. He'll tell you. He's a Colt. More of a Colt than a Springfield is - at least the Sistema has a one-piece barrel.

Also got a Ballester. It's a fine gun. It's not a 1911, but that's like saying a Python is not a Registered Magnum. No, it's not. Still a damn good 357, though.

I like my Ballerina Molester.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
It's a .45, if you own one, and it shoots, then enjoy it. From what I've heard the Ballesters have really jumped in price recently. I own, carry, and shoot a Jim Clark coustom Norinco copy of the Colt 1911A, and I would not swap it, or sell it, for anything other than another coustom 1911A

·
Premium Member
13,254 Posts
so are these looked down on?
We have five M1911A1s in our safe, including the '44 vintage Ithaca I'd carried for 30+ years, so I do have a degree of familiarity with .45s. Back in the '60s I had the opportunity to do a lot of shooting with Ballester-Molinas, and was very impressed with them. Why anybody would look down on them is beyond me. Enjoy your Ballester, they're great pistols.

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if DOES shoot great. it shoots as good as I do.. :) anyway!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Like some others on here, I've had 2 or 3 Ballester-Molinas and like those folks am kicking myself for letting go of them. And this was quite some years ago when they were really inexpensive. Never find those deals again.

In 71 after getting out of the army and home from Vietnam, I had an opportunity to buy a Singer 1911 for $600. Didn't realize what it was and passed it up. Talk about kicking yourself!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts