1911 question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by tundra01, Apr 10, 2009.

Tags:
  1. tundra01

tundra01 New Member

I have read in the forum that by sitting a dime on top of the slide and pulling the trigger is good training. My question is does it hurt the the hammer hitting the firing pin without a chambered round (dry firing)?

2. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

i never dry fire anything.some handguns are a pure bitch to replace fireing pins in it dont matter if they ar 1911 or not.

3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

To answer your question, no.

Also, another way to practice trigger control is to draw a small bullseye on a sheet of thin cardboard and tape it to a wall. Place a pencil down the barrel of your UNLOADED 1911 and stand close enough to the wall that the pencil is about 1/2 or 3/4 in from the target. When the hammer falls, it will drive the pencil forward and print the shot about one half inch below the target. After firing the group, you will be surprised how accurately the pencil flies forward.

4. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

One can 'fine tune' the pencil by wrapping a couple of 'rounds' of freezer tape around it. Wrap just enough to 'center' the pencil in the UNLOADED barrel, but not so much as to impede it's movement in the barrel.

5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

:) That procedure also works using a M1 Garand:)