1911 Question

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by USMCSpeedy, Apr 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

This is probably going to sound pretty stupid but here goes. I'm looking at buying a Kimber 1911. I see that some of them come with 7rd mags and some with 8rd. From the specs I can find on them, they look to be the same size physically. The question is this. Will a 8rd mag fit in a gun designed for a 7 and vice versa? What exactly is the difference in the two guns? The 2 in particular I'm talking about are the Kimber Custom II and the Kimber SIS Custom.

2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

yes the magazines are interchangeable. the simple answer is a slight change to the follower or the spring to make it hold the extra round. some may disagree but the kimber mags are junk in my opinion and should be replaced with wilson or mccormick . 7 or 8 rounders.

3. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

Thanks for the reply. Thats just what I wanted to know.

4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Let's be a little more precise. It's not a question of round count, so much as it is a question of physical size.

There are government model magazines that hold 7 rounds and others that hold 8 rounds. They are interchangeable, and either will work fine in your gun.

Then there are "officer's model" magazines that hold 6 rounds and others that hold 7 rounds. They are about 1/2 inch shorter than government model mags. They will not work in full-size guns. They will fit in the grip. They will lock into place. They are not tall enough for the slide to grab the top round.

So, yes, you can put an 8-round magazine in your gun and it will work, but sometimes putting a 7-round one in won't. (I had 12 magazines laying on the bench - one of which was the officer's model mag. When I shoved it in that Gold Cup, it wouldn't work for nothin'.)

5. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

The 1911's I'm looking at are the full size government types. I like the Custom II but just thought the extra round would be nice to have if it was ever needed. I figured it was probably spring/follower configuration that allowed the extra round but I wanted to ask those who knew for sure.

6. llbroughton

llbroughton New Member

Have you thought about ten round mags? I'm a LEO and I carry a Wilson Combat 1911 with five ten round mags. I also have plenty of McCormack mags but I like the welded stop on the Wilson ten round mags. I have a tendency to slam in the mag hard when doing a mag change (during competition) and I have jammed the McCormack mags hard into my gun. I've never had that problem with the Wilson's.

7. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

I also am a fan of the ten rd. mags. for carry. When plinking, and not working on SD situations, I use a 20 rd. mag. Don't have to stop to reload so often.

8. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Para & Springfield make 10 round double stack frames/magazines. The Para comes w/ a 14 rounder if you don't live in a Commie State like Kalifornia...:(

9. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

I guess I never looked into the 10rd'ers. I'll have to check those out. The 20 rd mag sounds good fro plinking as well. As far as the double stacks go, they feel a little thicket than I like so I think I will stick to a single stack model.

10. Pat-inCO

Pat-inCO New Member

And there is perpetuation of another false rumor.

I have more than ten Kimber magazines plus an equal number of "plain vanilla" ones ($9.95/ea) and have yet to have a failure due to those magazines. I HAVE had multiple failures with McCormick mags. YMMV.