The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,537 Posts
The FJA just above the mag release stands for Frank J Atwood, the Ordnance Department inspector for Ithaca and Remington Rand. HS markings on the barrel indicate High Standard mfg., which would be correct for the period. All the other markings - s/n, US Property etc. - have been obliterated. If you slide the firing pin retaining plate down (be ready for the spring-loaded pin), you should find a repeat of the original serial number stamped in the recess - several digits above the pin's channel, several digits below - that's assuming the slide's original to the frame and the number hasn't been scrubbed.

·
Super Moderator
30,094 Posts
Can't make out whether that number is C132630 or C132C30. If the former, that number was assigned to a Government Model produced in 1922. The pistol in question is a 1911A1 - which was first introduced in 1924.
They look like 6s when I enlarge the picture.

·
Junior Advanced Senior Member In Training
7,800 Posts
6132630 is what I see also

·
Registered
17,699 Posts
The military did not stamp their serial numbers there. It looks like that would be hidden by the right grip, if it was installed. The military serial number is stamped right above the trigger, next to the US property mark.

In my opinion, the serial number has been removed, and then a new number was engraved in a different spot.

In my opinion, that pistol is hotter than a pancake. If ATF found you with it they would put you in the poky, because you are not allowed to have a gun that has had the serial number removed.

Again, in my opinion, some soldier stole that and then tried his best to remove any and all evidence that it was once government property.

·
Premium Member
13,537 Posts
In my opinion, that pistol is hotter than a pancake. If ATF found you with it they would put you in the poky, because you are not allowed to have a gun that has had the serial number removed.

Again, in my opinion, some soldier stole that and then tried his best to remove any and all evidence that it was once government property.
Yup.

·
Administrator
33,015 Posts
Govt Inspectors Mark is FJA.
Lt Col. FJ Atwood.
It could be Itacha, US&S or Remington Rand
1942 - 1944
Now, even if the serial number is actually C132630 , it
points to Colt made in 1924 and we all know better.
Something smells.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts