The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Great Grandfathers brother, Armond Dare Willis's 1911A1 just came into my possession. He served in WWII in the Navy as a Commander, he was a landing craft operator on D-Day. He served around 10 years and brought this pistol home with him. It has been sitting under a dresser for the last 25 years. I am new to 1911's and am not sure exactly what I am looking at, just want to know if it is all original, and an approximate value. Thank you for your time.

1911_1.jpg 1911_2.jpg 1911_3.jpg 1911_5.jpg 1911_6.jpg 1911_8.jpg 1911_10.jpg 1911_12.jpg 1911_14.jpg 1911_19.jpg

·
Banned
2,001 Posts
This appears to be an all correct Colt 1911 A-1 from 1943. The condition of the gun is excellent. I can see no arsenal redo marks on it. That does not mean it it was never back to an arsenal but it does not seem to be a refinished gun. The edges and lettering are all nice and crisp. The gun never saw much actual use or carry judging the the small amount of wear to the parkerized finish. The holster does show some use. The mag pouch looks virtually new and is of British manufacture. The 2 R marked magazines should WWII correct. At some point Colt stopped putting the serial number in the firing pin slot on the slide.

Without actually having the gun in hand I would say it is an all original WWII Colt. The holster, magazines, and pouch do not match the gun but do match the time period. The gun should easily sell for 2000 plus with the magazines. The holster is worth 75 to 100 or more since it is identified and has the history of your relative. This may or may not be the actual gun he was issued. The lack of wear says it saw little to no use or carry. There is a chance he swapped out his gun for one in better condition before he left the service. Pistols were the property of the US Army and not to be carried home however many seemed to go missing. These could also be bought as surplus from the DCM in the 1960s. All said and done a very nice gun and holster!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This appears to be an all correct Colt 1911 A-1 from 1943. The condition of the gun is excellent. I can see no arsenal redo marks on it. That does not mean it it was never back to an arsenal but it does not seem to be a refinished gun. The edges and lettering are all nice and crisp. The gun never saw much actual use or carry judging the the small amount of wear to the parkerized finish. The holster does show some use. The mag pouch looks virtually new and is of British manufacture. The 2 R marked magazines should WWII correct. At some point Colt stopped putting the serial number in the firing pin slot on the slide.

Without actually having the gun in hand I would say it is an all original WWII Colt. The holster, magazines, and pouch do not match the gun but do match the time period. The gun should easily sell for 2000 plus with the magazines. The holster is worth 75 to 100 or more since it is identified and has the history of your relative. This may or may not be the actual gun he was issued. The lack of wear says it saw little to no use or carry. There is a chance he swapped out his gun for one in better condition before he left the service. Pistols were the property of the US Army and not to be carried home however many seemed to go missing. These could also be bought as surplus from the DCM in the 1960s. All said and done a very nice gun and holster!

Thank you very much Old Guns for taking the time to look over and comment on my post. The information is very appreciated!

·
No Power Options
13,378 Posts
What a wonderful weapon. That is truly a keeper and how nice it is to be passed down.
Never sell it as it will do nothing but rise in value.
A classic even before it was a classic. Agree with OG one hundred percent and with that said the market to me would be a little higher, but NO SALE would rule any questions as to any offer. This is one you would never let go.
One lucky pass down for sure. Keep it oiled and clean and never store in the holster as it seemed to be stored correctly.

Seems you have the knowledge to break it down to basics and if it were to go back in storage I would grease it down well.

I`m sure everyone here would agree, condition is everything and it fits that to a T.

…….and one last thing--------Welcome to TFF
From TEXACO

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What a wonderful weapon. That is truly a keeper and how nice it is to be passed down.
Never sell it as it will do nothing but rise in value.
A classic even before it was a classic. Agree with OG one hundred percent and with that said the market to me would be a little higher, but NO SALE would rule any questions as to any offer. This is one you would never let go.
One lucky pass down for sure. Keep it oiled and clean and never store in the holster as it seemed to be stored correctly.

Seems you have the knowledge to break it down to basics and if it were to go back in storage I would grease it down well.

I`m sure everyone here would agree, condition is everything and it fits that to a T.

…….and one last thing--------Welcome to TFF
From TEXACO

Thank you TEXACO

1 - 10 of 10 Posts