1911A1 Slide

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

Tags:
  1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

mckheean
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/13/02 8:21:39 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All 1911A1 Slide
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I just purchased a 1911A1 45 with a after market slide I think.I am going to check the guns shows for one to make it look a little more authenic.What do I need to look for as far as wear on the slide.The frame has the inspection markFJA and the finish is blue.Any advice will be helpfull.The slide I have now has no markings. Benny

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/13/02 10:04:40 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 1911A1 Slide
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ben, email kustomkraft@nac.net. He should have what U R looking for in various grades of condition.

mckheean
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/13/02 10:54:09 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del 1911
    Thanks very much.I will email him Benny

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/13/02 5:26:50 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 1911
    With an "FJA" your frame is a Remington Rand or Ithaca. I doubt if you'll find an RR or Ithaca slide in blue, though.

As far as I know, all of the RRs and Ithacas were parkerized, so your frame was probably refinished at one time or another.

mckheean
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/14/02 9:01:54 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del 1911A1
    kustomkraft@nac.net did not have any slides at this time.I would like to find a Colt slide to put on this 45 since the grips are Mother Of Pearl from the Colt Custom shop with the Colt emblem.The serial number does not match any charts that I have seen.It is a shooter grade anyway and I don't like the non-marked slide on it. Thanks Benny in NC

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/14/02 12:25:05 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 1911A1
    You should be able to find a blued Colt slide for it. All of the Commerical M1911s and A1s were blue as well as the military M1911s and a few early military A1s.

Whether that blue will be a good match for the blue on your frame, is another matter.

Silver72
    (12/28/02 1:12:58 pm)
    Since the serial number does not reflect the gun is a known military production the finish would not matter. Early guns were finished in the DuLite blue parkerizing. This was true in the Ithaca guns before #900,000 and all of the US&S production. A original DuLite gun would have to be pristine to really reflect any of the original blue tint. Through use and cleaning it would have dulled down considerably.

The FJA stamp could be an attempt to make the gun appear something it is not. One can even buy an ordnance stamp die from Gun Parts today. If your gun needs an ordnance "wheel" on the upper rear right of the frame, just buy a die.
    Bubby's Garage is running full production today.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/28/02 4:06:33 pm)
    Silver, put those damn stamps away!