1911s at the CMP, latest update

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by CCHolderinMaine, Dec 5, 2017.

1. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

Got this email yesterday.
    Think the demand is high? They're planning on putting everybody into the random number generator after the first TEN THOUSAND orders come in on day 1.
    It'll probably still never happen, but at least the process moves forward.

CMP 1911 Information
    To all CMP constituents:
    The CMP Board of Directors has discussed at length how the sales of 1911s would be handled, if the CMP were to ever receive them from the United States Army.
    Some preliminary decisions:
    1. Decisions concerning the grade and pricing of the 1911s will not be made until inspection has occurred of a substantial quantity which will take an estimated 150 days post receipt.
    2. All laws pertaining to the sale of 1911s by CMP will be strictly obeyed.
    3. Potential purchasers will have to provide to CMP a new set of documents exhibiting: 1) proof of U.S. Citizenship, 2) proof of membership in a CMP affiliated club, 3) proof of participation in a marksmanship activity, 4) a new form 2A with notary, 5) successful completion of a NICS background check, 6) a signed copy of the 01 Federal Firearms License in which the 1911 will be transferred to.
    4. The CMP customer will be required to complete a form 4473 in person and successfully complete another NICS check by the recipient FFL holder before the pistol can be transferred.
    5. Qualified CMP customer will only be allowed to purchase one 1911 per calendar year.
    6. No 1911s available in the CMP stores, or on line, only mail order sales.
    7. CMP will set the date in which it will accept orders for the 1911s. The date will be posted to the world.
    8. Orders will only be accepted via mail order delivery.
    9. Orders will only be accepted post marked on the date or after, no early orders.
    10. Once CMP receives 10,000 orders, customer names will be loaded into the Random Number Generator.
    11. The Random Number Generator will provide a list of names in sequence order through a random picking process to CMP.
    12. Customers will be contacted in the sequence provided by the Random Number Generator.
    13. When the customer is contacted a list of 1911 grades and pricing options that are available will be offered for selection of one.
    14. As CMP proceeds down the sequenced list less grade and pricing options will be available. Again, this done completely random.
    Mark Johnson
    Chief Operating Officer
    Civilian Marksmanship Program
    www.thecmp.org

Kweeksdraw and dbcooper like this.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

#13. That's the best one.

I jump through ALL their hoops, get ALL that paper together AGAIN, send it in and wait.

Then, finally, a year or so later, they get in touch.

"Okay, you lucky feller, you. Now it's YOUR turn. These are the options, and THIS is the price list."

And that's when I find that a crapped out rattletrap Remington-Rand, in 5% condition, would cost $2500.

Uhh, no.

Why not post the prices beforehand, so folks can decide if they want to screw with it? That's what they do with their other guns.

jedwil and Larry Isaacs like this.

3. Larry Isaacs

Larry Isaacs Active Member

Being a bit skeptical of all things Government, I don't need or want to be put into a blind "random" drawing for a gun. If they want to sell the surplus and I want to buy it, fine, but I don't want my information gathered into to some "Number Generator" and selected to buy some old piece of iron.

With the pending pressure from Anti-Gun groups, I don't need my name on any more lists.

Larry

JONWILL likes this.
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

All that stuff you have to do doesn't cost you a cent, except for the postage to mail the required stuff to the CMP. The fee for having a Notary sign the 2A form is nothing if you go to our bank. I don't know how you would get a NCIS check but I would imagine that the FFL dealer would do that when he got the gun.

SO, you do all that and then when the CMP does pick your gun in your name and they tell you it is going to cost that $2500 that Alpo mentions, all you have to say is no thanks and be out very little money. You won't even have to pay for a FFL transfer cause the dealer did not do a transfer.

Shoot yeah, I am going to take the time to do it!! And a little bit of time is all you would have wasted.

CCHolderinMaine likes this.
  5. Old Guns

Old Guns Well-Known Member

Is it really fair that the guy who places order number 10,000 may get the first choice? There is a lot of negative feedback going around about this system. It may not cost much but it seems lot a lot of hoops to jump through to buy what you can just walk into a store and buy over the counter in some states. I have enough 1911s that I have zero interest in this fiasco.

JONWILL and jedwil like this.
  6. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

"And that's when I find that a crapped out rattletrap Remington-Rand, in 5% condition, would cost $2500. "
    Yup.

JONWILL likes this.
  7. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

I would suggest two reasons;
    1> to keep the 1st day's orders closer to 10,000 than 100,000
    2> to discourage flippers

JONWILL likes this.
  8. JONWILL

JONWILL Well-Known Member

I think I am going to pass on these

If I am not mistaken the last run of 1911’s made for the military was in 1945

The 1911’s that my unit had in the 80’s were worn out. When you ran with one it sounded like you has a couple of steel chisels in your pocket

If I could go to the North Store and at least see the condition of the different grades I might get one

Larry Isaacs and jedwil like this.