The Firearms Forum banner

1911's

Tags
6K views 40 replies 18 participants last post by  76Highboy 
#1 ·
#2 ·
The only real dilemma is between the SA and the Ruger. the other 2 are overpriced. But all are great 1911s

#7 · (Edited)
Colts are nice, but I look at them more like a collector gun that I'd be afraid to carry and ruin. The reason I avoid Kimber is their customer service. Ruger is really nice from what I hear, but I haven't seen them around my area.

I own a Springfield, so maybe I'm just biased. Great customer service and they make a pretty good 1911 without that firing pin block BS in it. It's just that the factory mainspring is too heavy along with a heavy firing pin spring = trigger is a turd. Or at least mine WAS.

Have you also considered a Smith & Wesson 1911? Or a Rock Island Armory 1911?

#8 ·
The Remington R1is gettin good reviews, and is less than some Kimber and Colt can't remember how compared price wise to the Ruger, Springfield, or the S&W. Me myself I'd go fer the R1 just cuz I like Remington guns.

#10 ·
For me money would be the main issue, but I still want a Colt. IMHO, all the rest are coppies of the original!

#12 ·
I have 4 colts and I have a couple of Philippine 1911s that will shoot with them side by side all day long. I like my colts but they are over rated in my opinion. I have held the ruger and they are ok but there are better guns for the money. I would just go with whatever fits your wallet and your fancy at the time.

#14 ·
I own a Springfield and love it. I have had to use their customer service for a safety operational issue. I would probably go with the Ruger. I have not shot one but I like the feel of the ones that I have tried at a gun store.

#17 ·
Yep STI is a fine choice. I am having a real hard time not draining my bank account for a STI off duty. I stil aint decided fi i need it yet. I want it soo bad...

#21 ·
Highboy Kimber is just a name. I own a tiger and a sig I have fired an sti and a Kimber all Are great guns but I hear numbers customer service is terrible and I know they are over priced. You could probably almost buy two lower priced guns for what a Kimber costs. And like double d said they will fire all day with a Kimber. Its all in what you like. Because you aren't the guy at the range with a Kimber doesn't mean you can't shoot. I have seen alot of people with more money than brains especially when it comes to sports. Alot of the guys at my club will only buy g Loomis or st Croix fishing rods. I will out fish any of them with my agility rods that cost 1/3 the price.

#22 ·
Wow, I just went to their website Dan and I like the Spartan V, and the Lawman along with many others. How would you rate their quality with the Kimber?
I have only sold them and never owned or shot them, but, I trust what shooter says about his spartan I got for him about 2 yrs ago. He has put it thru it paces and it has yet to fail him and he hasnt even cleaned it yet as part of a test. I know Beth bought one too and a few others here own one. As for rating quality against a kimber, well, I have heard good and bad things about kimber. But, there again I dont own one so I cant honestly judge one.

#23 ·
I have only sold them and never owned or shot them, but, I trust what shooter says about his spartan I got for him about 2 yrs ago. He has put it thru it paces and it has yet to fail him and he hasnt even cleaned it yet as part of a test. I know Beth bought one too and a few others here own one. As for rating quality against a kimber, well, I have heard good and bad things about kimber. But, there again I dont own one so I cant honestly judge one.
It is one that I am looking at. Thanks Dan.

#24 ·
I know Ive said this before a BUNCH of times, but I wanna say it again, especially cause yer a Ford Truck Guy; one of the good guys! lol

STAY AWAY FROM the Series 80 Colt USELESS INTERNAL SAFETY. I understand that there is a "conversion set of parts" that replaces this little bit of mechanical stupidity - and its the only way to go with a 1911 pattern auto that is originally manufactured with the Series 80 Colt type "extra safety."

Keep on truckin FordBrother. ^5

#25 ·
I know Ive said this before a BUNCH of times, but I wanna say it again, especially cause yer a Ford Truck Guy; one of the good guys! lol

STAY AWAY FROM the Series 80 Colt USELESS INTERNAL SAFETY. I understand that there is a "conversion set of parts" that replaces this little bit of mechanical stupidity - and its the only way to go with a 1911 pattern auto that is originally manufactured with the Series 80 Colt type "extra safety."

Keep on truckin FordBrother. ^5
How you doing 1976? Thanks a bunch for the advice. I will take it.:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.