The Firearms Forum banner

1911's

Tags
2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  zebulonsmith 
#1 ·
My favorite handgun is a Sprinfield 1911 full size. I have had
a few modifications done to it, such as Novak white-dot
sights, an extended slide release, and I high polished the feed ramp.
I have been thinking lately and doing research on ported barrels.
I am a huge fan of all steel construction. Besides the Two Walther
handguns I own, I am a fan of all steel construction. I like polymer
where polymer is due, but I favor the full weight of steel to absorb
the recoil. Anyone have an opinion on barrel-porting? It's not that I
have any doubts about my .45, just trying to make it more slick.
Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
Sounds like we have the Same Springfield. A fellow shooter puts about 20,000 rounds a year through his and various parts break each year. I agree with you that steel is the deal. All I would ever do this Springfield is add steel parts where necessary. Other than that, I won't change a thing.

Customizing 1911s is fine and I have a Caspian frame custom built that is having some issues. But it's an IDPA, practice, and fun gun. My Springfield is near stock and it's the one I stake my life on if needed. KISS is the best recipe for a self defense handgun, IMO. I shoot my Springfield in IDPA tyepe events occasionally as well. The 1911 is an excellent design and as long as you have quality, steel parts where needed, they really don't require much more to go bang when necessary.

#5 ·
I'm with Joseywales3. If this is a gun you only intend to shoot at paper with, then go ahead and monkey with it. If it's the one that you keep beside the bed in case the bad guys come knockin, then leave it alone.

I've shot a couple of 1911's with compensators on them and haven't noticed enough of a difference to make it worth it to me. I'd rather put money into things like a match barrel, spring job, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.