The Firearms Forum banner

1916 spanish mauser

7K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  steve91/30 
#1 ·
Was wondering if any Mauser experts could help me out a bit...

I just picked up a 1916 Spanish Mauser and the stock has "15" painted on it in red with a large circle underneath as well. I imagine it's some sort of arsenal marking, but would like to know what it denotes.

Thanks in advance for any help guys!

Steve

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
What he said. These guns were converted M91/92 Mausers, done for the Spanish Civil Guard. The caliber, just like what soundguy said is 7.62x51 CETME. It's physically identical to the 7.62x51 NATO and the .308 Winchester, but don't shoot either of these in that gun. The difference in these rounds is pressure. The CETME round is loaded to much lower pressures, in deference to the relatively weak M91 Mauser action.

#3 ·
Any number or symbol painted on a military stock is usually a rack number. Makes it easier for a Company Armorer to issue a rifle quickly. My '16 in Nam had a blue triangle and "199" in white paint on the buttstock. The blue triangle was the Battalion's "Company C" and the "199" happened to be the number of the rifle. Saw it when I got there - and saw it again when I left (I carried a .38 revolver most of the time).

#11 ·
You are lucky if it hasn't been converted, and is still 7X57mm Mauser! That is a great caliber for that rifle. Most of the time rifles referred to as 'M1916' refer to Model 93 Mausers that were converted to the CTME cartridge. I am just curious as to if you have a 7mm or a 7.62.

To me, you have an outstanding prospect for a re-finish. There was a guy who used to visit this site often (Snakedriver) who had a rifle much like yours. With some careful wood sanding and refinish, and some polishing of the bolt your rifle can be returned to a very nice shooting rifle. Of course everything depends on the condition of the bore.

#14 ·
George - I had one of the Israeli FN k98's that had the "7.62" and the 'Star of David' stamped as you described on the top of the receiver bridge. It also had "7.62" burnt into the bottom of the butt stock. I also had one of the '1916s' - and I cannot recall where (or if) it was stamped.

My son still has that '98. As I recall, I bought the 1916 from a sporting goods dealer, and traded it right back to them for the '98 after I had discovered how dangerous the 1916 was to use. The only problem I ever had with the '98 chambered for 7.62mm ammo was that the shorter rounds didn't always feed reliably from the longer 8X57mm length magazine.

#15 ·
There used to be a kit for the 98s to solve the feeding problems with short cartridges.
There is not much to this kit as it comprises of a 1/4-3/8 ramped filler block that goes into the forward part of the mag/well. I have used something like this in my custom 98s with cartridges as short as the 22-250 with no feeding problems.

#16 ·
I had a 1916 but it was so long ago I don't remember if it was marked 7.62 or not. If it was it wasn't oversize or anything remotely memorable. I do remember it had 1916 faintly stamped near the muzzle. I shot .308 Winchesters out of it because I didn't know any better at the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.