The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
There's some new ones out I haven't tried yet, but look more promising that what's been offered before. They use the rear sight base, and put the scope back over the receiver. Kinda pricey, but cheaper then a D&T, and altering the gun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's some new ones out I haven't tried yet, but look more promising that what's been offered before. They use the rear sight base, and put the scope back over the receiver. Kinda pricey, but cheaper then a D&T, and altering the gun.

Also, found this stamp up by the nozzle. It says M16 308W SPAIN. I'm assuming the M16 is the year? But when I look for scope mounts I never see that M16. They always say "fits M98 or other M??. Sorry. Not at all familiar with this gun But it is in good shape.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Sales gimmick to unload them. Chambered in 7.62 CETME, that dimensionally is the same as the 7.62 NATO and .308Win, but loaded at much lower chamber pressures to match the original 7x57 Mauser pressures. Good excuse to learn how to reload using .308W brass, but use .300 Savage loading data.
The "M16" is for Model of 1916. The Spanish Model 1893, 1895, 1916 and FR-7 are all "small ring" Mausers, as are the Swede 94 & 96. That refers to the front receiver ring. 1898 Mausers are a large ring, and cock on opening, as opposed to the small ring cock on closing of the bolt.
SR vs LR:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sales gimmick to unload them. Chambered in 7.62 CETME, that dimensionally is the same as the 7.62 NATO and .308Win, but loaded at much lower chamber pressures to match the original 7x57 Mauser pressures. Good excuse to learn how to reload using .308W brass, but use .300 Savage loading data.
The "M16" is for Model of 1916. The Spanish Model 1893, 1895, 1916 and FR-7 are all "small ring" Mausers, as are the Swede 94 & 96. That refers to the front receiver ring. 1898 Mausers are a large ring, and cock on opening, as opposed to the small ring cock on closing of the bolt.
SR vs LR:
Great info. Much appreciated. Glad i found this forum

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Greg, there are still morons that insist on shooting .308W in these guns. There's "working pressures", "maximum pressures", and "proof loads". The last one is what the factory "tests" the action with. The .308W working pressure exceeds the proof load pressures of what the action was built for. That's 62,000 pounds per square inch, just inches from your face, in a gun made over 100yrs ago!
Best case; eventually, they get lug setback, where the locking lugs on the bolt get hammered back into the receiver ring it locks to, and they can't open the bolt anymore to shoot it. Then they have a very large and long paper weight.
Worse case, the lugs shear off, the action blows, and they get to wear a Mauser bolt in their forehead.
Btw...There's no such thing as asking a stupid question when it concerns firearms, so ask away. Is that a Norinco SKS posing with your Mauser?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Greg, there are still morons that insist on shooting .308W in these guns. There's "working pressures", "maximum pressures", and "proof loads". The last one is what the factory "tests" the action with. The .308W working pressure exceeds the proof load pressures of what the action was built for. That's 62,000 pounds per square inch, just inches from your face, in a gun made over 100yrs ago!
Best case; eventually, they get lug setback, where the locking lugs on the bolt get hammered back into the receiver ring it locks to, and they can't open the bolt anymore to shoot it. Then they have a very large and long paper weight.
Worse case, the lugs shear off, the action blows, and they get to wear a Mauser bolt in their forehead.
Btw...There's no such thing as asking a stupid question when it concerns firearms, so ask away. Is that a Norinco SKS posing with your Mauser?

Yes, the stamp says made in China by Norinco

·
Banned
99 Posts
TRAP55 is 100% correct! The later "large ring" Mausers are fine. The good 1916 Models are pretty plentiful and not terribly expensive/ They are not really my thing and I have had a few. I stumbled upon one stuck back in a closet and has a bad case of boredom. I needed a toy to mess with. So....
A number of years previous to this I had purchased an obscenely large quantity of 7.62 Nato plastic training rounds. they were in 500 round plastic wrapped battle packs. They were cheap and the dealer was selling the cheap so I swung a deal and bought the entire tableful of them, about 8,000 rounds, Fun bullets made from ballistic plastic and quite accurate out to about 100 meters which is their intended use (limited) but the velocity is just shy of OMG... 4000+ FPS. Absolutely no recoil But fun!
I went to work on the Mauser. New stock, made a set of double set triggers and then played around putting a scope on it.
This is what I ended up with... you can laugh... some do! I can use it at most indoor ranges because of it's lack of bullet weight and penetration.
Enjoy
DSC_0068a.jpg
DSC_0070a.jpg
DSC_0071a.jpg
DSC_0072a.jpg
DSC_0074a.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TRAP55 is 100% correct! The later "large ring" Mausers are fine. The good 1916 Models are pretty plentiful and not terribly expensive/ They are not really my thing and I have had a few. I stumbled upon one stuck back in a closet and has a bad case of boredom. I needed a toy to mess with. So....
A number of years previous to this I had purchased an obscenely large quantity of 7.62 Nato plastic training rounds. they were in 500 round plastic wrapped battle packs. They were cheap and the dealer was selling the cheap so I swung a deal and bought the entire tableful of them, about 8,000 rounds, Fun bullets made from ballistic plastic and quite accurate out to about 100 meters which is their intended use (limited) but the velocity is just shy of OMG... 4000+ FPS. Absolutely no recoil But fun!
I went to work on the Mauser. New stock, made a set of double set triggers and then played around putting a scope on it.
This is what I ended up with... you can laugh... some do! I can use it at most indoor ranges because of it's lack of bullet weight and penetration.
Enjoy View attachment 251395 View attachment 251396 View attachment 251397 View attachment 251398 View attachment 251399
I like the stock. One of a kind.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
I've got the same stock in Pepper laminate for a .257 Roberts AI I'm building. Ergonomics make it real comfortable sitting at a bench rest waiting for a P-dog to pop his head up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok guys, I'm new at this so please bear with me. I'm a little confused because I bought some 7.62 X 51 ammo that has the NATO stamp on it. I wanted to make sure I got the right stuff so I started looking on line and everything I see says 7.62 X 51 / .308. I want to make sure about the pressure but this box does not have any of those specs on it. How can I be sure this ammo is safe to shoot through my Mauser?

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
7.62 NATO pressures fall between the 7.62 CETME and .308W, that's the bad news. The good news is, you have 20 primed cases, and 20 bullets to reload after you break them down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts