The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have aquirred a decent looking 1917 model DA .45 S&W. The matching serial numbers is on the butt and on the rear of the cylinder that are 177XXX. There is no letter associated with the serial number. It has a hole in the butt for a lanyard ring, it has never been reblued or polished, it shows normal wear and tear from holster usage, it has wood checkered grips,the action is tight, there is absolutely no rust on this gun, the grips are worn and has very slight crack in the base, I do not have the original holster for it, and it has been in one family since new I was told. I am looking to get a fair maket value on this gun before I lay out any money on it for a S&W Letter or holster if I can find one. I do believe this gun has more handling wear than any shooting wear. Any info or help on real dating and value is appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,288 Posts
If I'm reading that number correctly, 177xxx, it is out of the range of military guns. Last military was 175100, in 1919. That would make it a civilian model, which agrees with the checkered grips (military had smooth).

If it was mine, I'd put a lanyard ring on it. I'd also replace the grips, since they are broken in a couple of places, using the gun might break them more. I'm not saying to toss 'em out. Just put different ones on for using. Because I would definitely use it.

I'm thinking 700, or thereabouts. Maybe more. If it was military, more collector would be after it, so it would be worth more.

On second thought. That 700 value would be right for October, but since the election, and more and more folks want EBRs, I think the other gun values have dropped. I've even heard of nice older guns showing up, as people unload the older stuff, so they can afford to get an EBR before they are banned.

Whichever, it is an excellent gun, and I'd certainly get a holster for it. Now, are you looking for an original 90 year old holster to go with that 90 year old gun? A replica military holster (IMA and Pacific Canvas and Leather both sell 'em, but, as I said, that's not a military gun), or a modern holster for carrying?

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as I can find info on it, it is a "Commercial 5 screw" with no (Property of US) markings stamped on it. This is why it does not have the landyard ring. The Commercial is suppose to more rare I thought and worth more than the military ones with that markings. (Maybe I am wrong) More thoughts?

·
Registered
17,288 Posts
It's true there were less "civilian" models. They made right at 210 thousand of 'em between 1917 and 1946, and the first 170 thousand were military.

Value, though, depends not as much upon age and rarity, as it does upon "how many people want it". That's why 30 cent a round 5.56 is a buck and a half, 500 dollar ARs are two grand and dollar a box 22 LR is 4 to 5 dollars. Bunches and bunches of people want them.

There is one type of weird person (like me) that likes older Smith HEs, and would interested in your gun. Their is completely different group of people that collect "military stuff".

If your gun was a military-marked 1917, both types would be interested - the "old Smith" guys AND the "military" guys. But since it is a commercial gun, only the "old Smith" guys would be interested. Your potential "buyer base" is smaller.

That's my opinion, anyway.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your imput. It makes sense to me. BTW, a holster that would fit the date of this revolver would be cooler to own...
Anyone else?

·
Registered
112 Posts
You can find an original holster every once in awhile on auction sites. Just saw one for $125.00, but it was in rough shape. Also, Midway has the moon clips to be able to shoot the 45ACP. Lots of places had the moon clips, but their price was best at the time I ordered.:)

·
Registered
17,288 Posts
mkbrmb, I get mine from Sportsmans Guide. 20 for ten bucks. I haven't seen 50 cent clips anywhere else. Most seem to be from a buck each to a buck fifty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts