The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Looked around for a while to find an appropriate place to post this. Not easy to find an intelligent firearm community when you're not a serious firearm enthusiast. I enjoy fine firearms as well as the next guy, it's just not my life's passion.

Anyway, I have this Model 70 that I believe to be quite rare, but I don't think I am the right person to own it. I would like to communities opinion on its value, and perhaps a good method or venue by which to sell it.

Thanks!

Gun description and photos below.

Official Gun Title:
1937 Winchester Model 70 Short Rifle, .257 Roberts

This Rifle has a 4 digit serial number (6744) and investigating with Winchester confirms the manufacturing date to be 1937. Since the Model 70 began production in 1936(technically 1935 but only 19 units were made), that makes this a second production year example. It is chambered for the .257 Roberts cartridge, which from what I understand is a more rare chambering than typical Model 70's. It is also a Short Rifle (or Carbine) model, which were only produced from 1936 to 1946, this means it has the integrated sight at the end of the barrel and the barrel length is 20", as opposed to the more common production lengths of 24" or 26". I put a lot of time into figuring these things out, to the best of my ability.

I have never fired this rifle but I have cycled the action to see how it feels and it is very smooth. It has seen use, though. At some point the receiver iron sight was removed and it received tap & die for a scope, but the scope has since been removed; you can see in the pictures. I can answer additional questions to the best of my ability. Rifle is located in the Dallas Ft. Wroth area. I have plenty more photos upon request. Matching barrel & receiver Oval Winchester proofs, barrel stamp, site, action, etc..

Attachments

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Welcome to TFF! And oh lordy is that a pretty little Model 70!!!

Too bad about the scope mounts though. Looks like that happened in the not to recent past going by the torx head screws on the mount. I know that will affect the value some.
I'd suspect that the recoil pad is an aftermarket add-on as well but I'm not positive.

I'm not very knowledgable on the pre-64 Model 70s so I really can't give you any idea on the value but I did have to comment on it's condition for it's age.
Regardless of value, If I found something like that I'd have a real hard time not taking it out and enjoying it though. Sweet little carbine in a sweet little cartridge. Darned near the perfect whitetail rifle for my area!

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Beth, the .257Roberts is one of those "old" cartridges that is seldom seen anymore these days. It was still a fairly new cartridge when SirHammerlock's M70 was built in the late 30s.

Basically, it is the 7x57 Mauser cartridge necked down to .25 caliber. Ned Roberts pioneered this particular cartridge, Remington commercialized in 1934, and pretty much all of the main US gun makers chambered at least one of their rifles for it during the 30s, 40s, and 50s.
It can be roughly be compared to the .243Winchester in power and size. But for some reason, the .243 and 6mm Remington eventually pushed the .25 caliber from the popularity in the 60s and took over that caliber niche.

The .257 might be an oddball cartridge these days, but that little short rifle pictured above in .257 is probably the epitome of what a classic 1940s bolt action deer/varmint rifle would be.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Hello,

Production of the Model 70 began on January 20th, 1936 with serial number "1". There were none made in 1935. Serial number 6744 was manufactured in late April, 1937.

There are two serious issues with your rifle that will significantly detract from the collector interest and value;

(1) It has been drilled & tapped for the scope blocks after the fact. The non-factory holes turn off a lot of the serious collectors.

(2) The butt stock has been cut down and the recoil pad installed after the fact.

The fact that it is a factory Carbine length rifle helps, but I suspect that it will be difficult to get much more than $1500 for it.

Bert H.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Very cool rifle. I am a big fan of the 257R.
If the rifle did not have the 2 mentioned mods I would probably not want to shoot it much.
INHO what you have is a unusual shooter

Enjoy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input thus far, everyone! Anything else that can be shared would be appreciated. I had a feeling the tap & die would knock it down but I didn't know by how much. I also thought the early production and short rifle feature were more rare, but was unsure how that is perceived by potential buyers.

I'll probably still be looking to offload it. I recognize that it represents a lot of great things, and still is a fine rifle, but I have to admit that I can't fully appreciate them so I think it would be better for someone else.

·
Registered
397 Posts
SirHammerlock-
Thanks for bringing that example of a fine hunting rifle to this forum. Very nice. As mentioned previously, there are some modifications that affect this guns value, but that does not take away its value as a very usable hunting and shooting firearm. And in a mighty fine caliber for deer, antelope, etc. and varmints as well. There are some handloaders I know that have the .257 Roberts, and with proper loads it does surpass the .243 & 6MM cartridges in terms of velocity and energy. My half-ass guess on value in its condition with a fine scope would be in the 2k range. IMHO...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you want to sell it? If so how much do you want for it?
Hi RodgerB, I do want to sell it but I have come here to learn what might be a fair price to receive, as well as where to sell it. I suppose to be blunt, though, I am interested in getting as much as is fair.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I know it's not an apples to apples comparison, but a 1937 model in 375 Magnum in unmodified condition sold this past weekend at the Rock Island Auction for $2K.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alright, I know this is a very old thread and the chances the OP might see it are slim, but I think this might be my old hunting rifle I sold when I needed the cash early in the 2000's. 2003-2004 iirc. Definately before 2005 when my first son was born.

I sold it in Buffalo, Texas at a sporting goods parking lot after I was unable to at a local gun show. Idk if the OP then purchased it from them, or perhaps you are part of that family of the person I sold it to.

I have always regretted getting rid of this gun and if I could track it down to both confirm it is my old rifle and maybe work towards a deal so I can reacquire on the chance that it is please let me know.

If you have sold it in the 7 years or so since this post was made any info you might be able to give me in order to find it again would be extremely helpful.

There is one other oddity about the gun not noted here that would 100% confirm it's the gun I'm looking for along with what I can recall about who I sold it to if you were the original buyer.

·
Super Moderator
41,422 Posts
Good Luck, the OP made a total of three posts, with all of them being in this thread. He has not been back since.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts