1940's military weapons

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Kaden, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Kaden

Kaden New Member

I'm a 24 year old writer, and the novel I am currently working on will have one flashback scene involving a crime ring in 1949 Boston. I have no knowledge of guns whatsoever, and Google has proven unhelpful, so I figured I would get some personal advice from people with the knowledge base I need!

The scene I'm writing will involve a single gun, but it needs to be silenced. I know commercial silencers were available at the time, I just don't know what types of guns were available that could use a silencer. Military or commercial grade doesn't matter, it's a crime ring for a reason ;)

(If this is an inappropriate use of this forum, I apologize. I write a lot of novels involving guns, so I hoped any knowledge I learn here could be used in the future as well. Thank you!)

rooter and Jack Ryan like this.
  2. Jjramrod

Jjramrod New Member

A colt 1911 could be silenced and available and a large enough caliber to warrant a silecer in that era and fairly easy to obtain while also being a military pistol although most crime rings in that era would not usually use a silencer and most would be using revolvers

3. Old Guns

Old Guns Well-Known Member

Silencers were not a very big deal in those days. One type of gun that was silenced by both the military and the civilian market were 22 Semi Automatic pistols. A silencer on them was very efficient and could be used in a covert operation to not draw attention or as a civilian just to keep the noise down. You still these old 22s once in a while with threads from a silencer.

4. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

22s, 32s, 380s, 9mm, 45 acp would all be candidates in 1949 Boston. If size is not an issue 45 or 9, a gun that needed to be carried discretely one of the lesser calibers would likely be used. A Walter PP in 32 might be the best compromise in size vs power......

5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

How much you plan to shoot it?

Walk in a room with five people in it, and shoot 'em all - thoop thoop thoop thoop thoop?

Or maybe come up behind some one on a dark street and - thupt - and don't even break stride if he falls?

If it's just one shot, I suggest a Welrod.

Instead of trying to quiet a pistol, they took a silencer and built a pistol on it. Bolt action 32 ACP.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welrod

The magazine was also the grip. Very concealabe, VERY quiet.

Welrod silenced 32 bolt, 2.jpg

ral357 likes this.
  6. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Some details of the scenario would be helpful in determining the type of weapon required, and thus the type of suppressor that would've been period correct for the late '40s. Details such as distance, indoors, outdoors etc.

BlackEagle likes this.
  7. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

Pretty much any pistol in use during that time period could be made to mount a silencer, the thing you need to remember is that silencers aren't silent, the bigger the caliber the noisier it will be.

Think mufflers on vehicles, that little Toyota pickup is quieter than that great big Peter Built truck even though both of them have mufflers and neither one of them is silent.

If your criminal needs to be as silent as he can be then his pistol needs to be as small in caliber as it can be and still get the job done.

8. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

It depends HUGELY on what this crime ring is involved in. Murder for hire kind of stuff - as stated above, a .22 with silencer. Bank robberies? The bigger and badder looking the better, but then a silencer is less effective.

BlackEagle likes this.
  9. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

If it has to be a military weapon, you'll have a fairly wide array to choose from: the above mentioned Welrod; suppressed M3/M3A1 "Grease Gun"; Sten Mk.2S/5S; DeLisle carbine, etc. etc. If, on the other hand, a civilian arm would fit the scenario, I'd think in terms of a 1920s vintage .22 cal. Fiala pistol - magazine fed, manually operated, takedown barrel (several lengths available), detachable shoulder stock, and fitted with a Maxim "silencer".

10. TigerLeo

TigerLeo Well-Known Member

We're civilians walking around with the 1911 in the 40's. I would think so, but I want alone back then...

11. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

I believe civilians have been walking around with 1911s since about 1912;)

12. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff* Supporting Member

Good Morning Sir from Phoenix...Only a few days ago on one of my meandering posts here
    I mentioned a noted author, Mickey Spillane and used the title of one of his detective novels
    MY GUN IS QUICK featuring his novels hero, MIKE HAMMER..Are you familar with him?
    I too write stories and have been published in other authors books with my permission...usually
    they are stories about Vietnam and that almost forgotten war. Chief

13. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff* Supporting Member

I just recalled that very recently I was watching the channel depicting the Mob's
    criminal activities back in pre-WWII days...The show, which I supposed attempts to
    try for accuracy of content, showed the 'shooter' muffling that big old, slab-sided, .45 blast with a sofa cushion.....not just a single round but the entire clip and iteven showed the cushion being blown 'hither and yon! Chief

14. Hovannes

Hovannes Active Member

Colt .32 or .380 Pocket Model 1903 and Browning versions were "typical" for the time, also the Model 1934 Beretta .380 were notable among paisans of the underworld. Very concealable. The Beretta barrel could more easily be threaded for a silencer.
    Then there are the 9mm and .30 Luger Parabellums s (.30 Luger was well respected for being silenced)
    The P-08 9mm were treasured as war surplus while the M 1920 .30 was a civilian version marketed between the wars, popular with at least a few big labor union enforcers. And the Browning P-35 High Power (if the hit man was well heeled as these, like Lugers, always carried a pretty hefty price tag.)