Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

1950s Smith & Wesson .38 Special.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by WillieB, Dec 4, 2017.

1. WillieB

WillieB Active Member

My local gun shop has an old Smith & Wesson .38 Special for sale. The owner of the shop said it was made sometime in the '50s and he knew the owner. The shop has it listed for $349. The pic below isn't the gun but same model and similar condition. Wondering if this is a fair price.

IMG_20171204_201621.JPG

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  2. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

Looks like a Model 10, for $349 I'd probably do it. A new Model 10 is between $600 and $700 retail.

WillieB likes this.

3. WillieB

WillieB Active Member

Yeah.... Looking online, I'm seeing a lot of the older ones are going for almost that! Might have to go back and grab this one.

4. jwdurf

jwdurf Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It would be helpful to have more specific info and pictures of the actual gun. You're asking us to place a value on a gun when all we know is the manufacturer, the caliber and the era it was made. And a picture of something similar, maybe.

I don't mean to be a jerk, but based on your post I can only provide an opinion that's based the info provided.

Maybe it's worth the asking price. Maybe more. Maybe less.

WillieB likes this.
  5. WillieB

WillieB Active Member

Totally understand. And like a fool, I didn't think to look at the model. From what I can gather, it's either an M&P or a Model 10. The gun was in excellent shape. Very little wear on the bluing and from what I could tell without shooting it, mechanically sound. Sorry I don't have more info but I appreciate the honesty!

jwdurf likes this.
  6. Old Guns

Old Guns Well-Known Member

IF the gun is in as good as condition shown and NOT reblued no matter which model S&W it is 349 is not a bad price.

Ibmikey99$, sharps4590 and WillieB like this.
  7. jwdurf

Understood. I'm a fan of those old Smiths. The Model 10 is the M&P by the way. Started as the Smith and Wesson .38 Hand Ejector Model of 1899. I'm sure you'll like it if you decide to buy.

http://chuckhawks.com/s-w_model_10.htm

WillieB likes this.
  8. Old Guns

I have a nice Model 10. When it came into the store I happened to be there and heard the woman say it was only fired once when her husband shot himself with it.

9. WillieB

WillieB Active Member

Thanks for all the replies. I really like the gun but it would have to replace my current .38 as a daily carry and range gun if I were to buy it now. Don't know how reliable an almost 60 year old gun would be for those applications.

10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

While a Model 10 IS an M&P, an M&P is not necessarily a Model 10.

I have four M&Ps. One made in the 30s, one the 40s, one in '55 and one in the 80s. Only the last one is a Model 10, as "model numbers" did not happen until 1957.

"Made in the 50s" - last two years it would be a Model 10. The first eight years it would simply be an M&P revolver.

WillieB and jwdurf like this.
  11. jwdurf

Good clarification Alpo. Thanks.

WillieB likes this.
  12. Old Guns

The gun pictured is more reliable then any gun made in the last 50 years. This was made when quality reigned supreme.

WillieB likes this.
  13. Ibmikey99$

Ibmikey99$ Well-Known Member

Fifty years for a well maintained pistol is but a burp in it’s life span. I would have no reservations about using one to defend given I had checked and fired the weapon previously.
    Most of my weapons collection is bordering on fifty years or more and I carry various one’s from time too time.

WillieB likes this.
  14. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The gun I carried for a year or so after I first got my license.

Devil Gun, pre-war 38 M&P, left-1.jpg

Same thing you're talking about. S&W M&P 38 Special. This one, however, was made in the 30s.

WillieB likes this.
  15. Ibmikey99$

Ibmikey99$ Well-Known Member

Alpo, Maybe when that Smith grows up it will have a barrelo_O