1955 38 special smith and wesson model 10

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Lee Webb, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

Your pistol is not marked .357 Magnum, it is marked .38 S&W Special it isn't chambered for the .357 and I'd stay away from .38 S&W +P

jim brady, BlackEagle and Pawpaw40 like this.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If your gun was made in 1955 it is not a Model 10 because in 1955 there was no such thing as a Model 10. They didn't have model numbers until the end of 1957. If that gun was made in 1955 it is simply an M&P.

If the gun was made in 1955 the grips have been replaced, because those grips are post 1968.

You have a common pistol with replacement grips and someone's social security number vibro-etched on it.

I think 350 is about the max you're going to get.

3. Grizzly2

Grizzly2 Well-Known Member

Your Grandfather must have engraved many things because the numbering was done very nicely in that first photo showing the sideplate. As a personal keepsake though it hurts nothing.

As to shooting +P rounds through this revolver, it would probably be best not to. The only reason you would is if you kept it for self defense and wanted the extra penetration and bullet expansion it offers. The drawback is that it might loosen the gun somewhat. I have never looked for or seen it happen to an all steel K frame revolver, which is what yours is. I have seen it happen to an all steel smaller J frame revolver from that same era where the barrel was pinned to the frame. With only minimal use of +P the opening at the front of the frame where the cylinder opens will eventually increase the gap there. I can only assume that the increased (+) pressure (P) caused that wear to happen.

You'll enjoy his revolver just as much if not more with the standard .38 Special rounds he left you as the +P rounds which are just a little more powerful and exert a little more pressure on the revolver then it was originally designed for.

BlackEagle, jim brady and Pawpaw40 like this.
  4. Kweeksdraw

Kweeksdraw Well-Known Member

The screw in the first picture looks buggered.

Alpo likes this.
  5. Lee Webb

Lee Webb Member

Can someone help me with this ammo? Here is the ammo the gun came with, I have almost 5000 rounds

Attached Files:

jim brady likes this.
  6. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

It's made primarilly for shooting paper targets, leaves a nice clean hole in the target for scoring. Your pistol should have no problems with it.

7. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

I would be glad to help you with it, I will send you my address!:D It should shoot fine in your pistol and as howln said, it will make a nice clean round hole in paper!

BlackEagle, Firpo, jim brady and 3 others like this.
  8. Jolson

Jolson Well-Known Member

That gun has had a lot more than 6 rounds through it.

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  9. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

And you know that how?

shootbrownelk likes this.
  10. Jolson

Jolson Well-Known Member

The deep cylinder ring. None of my smiths have that with just 6 rounds through it.

Kweeksdraw and shootbrownelk like this.
  11. Wild Turkey Cogburn

Wild Turkey Cogburn Well-Known Member

Target ammo, paper punching
    Mid range, light recoil
    Good plunking ammo

12. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

It's also pretty good defense ammunition.

Kweeksdraw and jim brady like this.
  13. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

This is what normal ammunition looks like when shot at a paper target. It tears the paper as it goes through. You score a target by where your bullet hole cuts. If most of your bullet hole is in the 6, but the edge of the hole cuts the 7, that shot scores a 7. With a normal bullet, it is difficult to tell because the paper tears.
    Non-wadcutter ammo.jpg

Target wadcutter ammunition does not tear the paper. Instead it makes beautiful perfectly round holes.

Wadcutter.jpg

This makes it extremely easy to score the target.

This ammunition is not designed to bring down a charging grizzly bear or crack an engine block. It is designed to make sure the bullet will go 25 yards and have enough energy to pass through the paper. Thus it is much easier to shoot than full strength ammunition. It is a great round to start somebody on because it has less noise and less recoil.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  14. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I believe I'm inclined to agree with Jolson. Enlarge the pictures and there is a ring where the bolt rides though I don't know if I'd call it deep when compare to what some Colt SAA's and their clones look like. Also, if you look closely at the bolt cuts in the cylinder you can see the slightest battering. It is so light I'm reluctant to call it battering but, it's there.

Obviously I have no idea who shot the revolver or, if the revolver has merely been dry fired a lot but, it's definitely had the cylinder turned more than what it takes for 6 rounds.

15. Lee Webb

Lee Webb Member

Thank you everyone for your advice and expert opinions, I will admit I don't know what to believe, I submitted a ton of pictures of this gun to a cash for guns site online, I didn't say it was a model 10, I didn't say it was 1955 or in new condition or anything, just sent those pictures, they offered $400 cash for it. I don't know what their margins are but that was certainly enlightening, obviously I'm going to hang on to it, thank you all!