The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the 2nd post for the other rifle my father left me: '59 Winchester Model 70 in .300 H&H Magnum. I had the stock refinished, so it's probably not worth as much as it would be if I hadn't, but I don't plan on ever selling it. However, I am insuring it through my personal property insurance with USAA and need some sort of value to put on it. Right now, I have the Model 70 listed at $2200, but I have no idea if that's even close. Serial number is 489763.

I really appreciate any information someone can give me on the Model 70, even if it's just stories and history! Thank you for your time! Here are some photos:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm guessing it's not worth as much as RDShoots' pristine version (see this thread), as my dad used it to hunt elk & deer when we lived in Canada and Alaska.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Refinishing the stock will have an influence on value if you were planning on selling it to a collector of Model 70s - but seeing as how you plan to keep it I wouldn't sweat it. $2200 might be a tad on the high side. Very few of these in your caliber show up from what I've seen. That would increase the value - but I'm still *guessing* that $2200 is high by a few hundred dollars.

As far as stories, I had a .30-06 made in 1958. Pretty decent shooter, but for what ever reason, my rifle shot better groups without the screw that goes thru the stock into the base of the rear sight swell. Of course I kept the screw, but removed it when I did some serious target shooting.

About 10 years before the old Model 70 I had purchased a 'Post 64' in .30-06 for hunting. That rifle served me very well with outstanding accuracy with my hunting loads (IMR-4350 with the OLD Speer 180 grain SPBT bullets). I still have it. I traded off the 1958 Model 70 many years ago because my newer one was just more accurate. and at the time I had my father's Remington 721 and two Winchester 70s, as well as a 1903 Remington made sporter. I'd heard so mush positive about the pre-64s that I wanted an old model. It was a nice shooter - just my newer one worked better for me.

Thanks for the post! You have a very nice rifle. Your father picked a great rifle for use and for passing on to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the post! You have a very nice rifle. Your father picked a great rifle for use and for passing on to you.
Thanks for the reply! I thought maybe I was valuing the rifle a bit high, so I'll lower it to $1900 or so. I appreciate the story! I don't have easy access to an outdoor range, so I haven't been able to fully zero the scope, but I plan to as soon as I get a chance. I don't really hunt, which is why it has such a big scope on it. I wanted to try some long-distance target shooting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts