The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While this gun is familiar, I truthfully couldn't tell you much about it other than it seems to have been well cared-for. There is some unusual wear (damage?) on the end of the barrel that I tried to illustrate - it looks more like friction wear than "scratching" per se, but it's very noticeable. I did find grips in his house that look like they [might] be for this gun, but I did not yet take them so I can't be sure.

I dated this as 1970 based on the Ruger website. Unfortunately, that's about all I've got regarding its history...

Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol Microphone
Revolver Auto part Muffler
Gun Trigger Revolver
Rim Metal
Auto part Pipe Muffler Metal
Muffler Auto part
Pipe Muffler Bumper Auto part Metal
Gun Revolver Trigger

·
Banned
2,001 Posts
A nice older 3 screw Model. The newer guns have 2 pins as opposed to the 3 screws on this gun. Ruger did a recall on these and offered to convert them to a safer transfer bar firing system but it looks like this one is still as manufactured. It may be your pictures but all the guns have a sort of hazy look to them. I think these may be Herrett target stocks on the gun. They offered a more substantial grip then the factory stocks did. They were a common replacement at the time. While it is a nice a desirable gun Rugers have not increased in price at the same rate as other well known brands. I would estimte the value to be in the 300 to 400 dollar range depending on the actual condition.

·
Registered
17,651 Posts
Don't look like those Herretts fit, to me. Like maybe they're XR3 grips, on an XR3-RED frame.

The damage you're talking about is "holster wear". You were right - friction - sliding in and out of a holster. rubbing on the leather. You wear the finish off the end of the barrel, the front sight, and the front of the cylinder.

It appears (when I blew the picture up it pixilated and I couldn't tell) that there is more damage on the ejector rod shroud. But the shroud is aluminum, and scratches easy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts