The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This pistol was notorious in my house - Dad LOVED his Rugers, but HATED this pistol lol! I believe this was purchased new, and has never changed hands since. I can't recall exactly what his issue was with it, but I distinctly remember "waste of money" being uttered (accompanied by a torrent of obscenities) whenever this gun was around.

What I CAN say is that - while I haven't had a lot of time to really tinker with it - I simply can not move the safety's position, nor fully retract the slide. It opens enough to see that there's no round in it; that was good enough for me right now considering all that's been going on. At some point, I'll (A) check out a manual to make sure I'm not just missing something simple and/or (B) take this to a shop to have it looked at. I've found a lot of evidence that the Mark III was an extremely popular pistol... I'm wondering if this predecessor was just an inferior model, or if it just hasn't been maintained (or is just a lemon).

It was stored in a hard case, and doesn't seem (to me anyway) to really show any obvious signs of neglect (although the slide-stop "claw" on the back of the grip is EXTREMELY hard to open)...

IMG_0229.JPG
IMG_0230.JPG
IMG_0231.JPG
IMG_0232.JPG
IMG_0233.JPG
IMG_0234.JPG
IMG_0235.JPG

·
Banned
2,001 Posts
I don't know about your dad but nearly everyone else loves these guns. They are extremely reliable and usually quite accurate. They are however a real bear to put back together once disassembled. Yours may not be assembled correctly. You need to take it down and follow the instructions or watch a YouTube video on reassembling it. There is a MKI through MkIV. The MKII ws the one of the best. The MKIV may be a great gun but I have no experience with them. The MKII has a bolt hold open feature the MKI lacked. Once working it is in the 300 dollar range.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I agree, perhaps it was assembled by force incorrectly and that is why it is not working properly. Take it apart, inspect all parts and reassemble it. I am very happy with all my Rugers. Every one of them shoots better than I do

·
Super Moderator
42,021 Posts
I agree, perhaps it was assembled by force incorrectly and that is why it is not working properly. Take it apart, inspect all parts and reassemble it. I am very happy with all my Rugers. Every one of them shoots better than I do
And get the manual out and follow it explicitly. I tried the You-tube videos and still could not understand mine. The owners manual covers the reassembly better than any thing I have seen.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This manual is what I had intended to use as my guide if/when I find the time to get into it.

Makes me wonder if a botched re-assembly is the reason the old man seemed to despise this pistol...

·
Super Moderator
42,021 Posts
Yep, starting right there on page 20. When it says point the thing UP, then point the thing up!!:D:D

·
No Power Options
13,637 Posts
As a final say, when putting this back together. Read the directions and do not read into what you think it says. Step by step will get the desired results. Many claim these are hard pistols to take down and re-assemble, they are not if you do each step as described.
MkII`s were my favorite.

And to add now that I looked at it again that appears to be a tapered 6-7/8"HB Target model and will garner top dollar for one looking for one, a little cleaning and it should look top knotch.

·
Premium Member
8,131 Posts
The Mark II is an excellent pistol but as others said, can be a little tricky to assemble properly.
Most likely just put together wrong.

Mine is the stainless government model but still assembles the same way. As stated follow the directions. Even I can do it.

·
Registered
Pensacola Florida
3,760 Posts
My MK ll takes all of 2 minutes to take apart and put back together, even quicker if the grand kids aren't around:D

Reactions: One Shot

·
Super Moderator
11,774 Posts
I agree with all of the above, The hammer strut is not "HOME" It will require partial disassembly to get it in its proper place.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, it took me a bit longer than two minutes to diagnose where the issue was, but you guys were dead-on. The hammer mechanism was inverted, preventing the bolt from retracting or being removed. Coaxing it slightly with the blunt end of a wooden skewer was enough to get the bolt out, and after re-assembly, it seems to be working just fine. I've not fired it, but both the bolt and safety move freely & smoothly.

I appreciate everyone's advice - thank you!

·
Premium Member
20,091 Posts
I agree with your dad on the cleaning aspect on these guns. It took me 4 hours to take mine apart and back together. The barrel on mine is so tight I had to use a ball peen hammer and block of wood to beat it off. I thought I would break it I had to hit it so hard. I will never remove the barrel on this gun again.

Overall the gun is very accurate and fun to shoot. I have heard that other members on this forum can pull the barrel on theirs with a tap of their hand. Others had the same problem I had.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts