The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some know I have an old Ford truck and well?? Finally decided to fix the old girl up. It’s been a good truck and with only 75K original miles I thought it worth the investment, especially after seeing the price of new trucks. I’m finding some parts aren’t very easy to come by, especially with the fuel system which is confusing. The owners manual states it has 22 and 18.2 gallon fuel tanks (which doesn’t match the info parts houses have) and my thought was while they have the bed off for painting I’d change out the fuel pump assemblies which coincidentally one of the tanks, the rear one, has crapped out....or so I thought. Now I’m learning there is a “fuel tank selector valve” which is more apt to be the culprit especially since I can hear bough pumps pressurizing the system. Ugh. Good news is the body shop where it’s being painted has a mechanic and the owner told me that they’d help me figure it all out and get things squared away. Meanwhile here are some pictures which I’ll update when it’s all finished. Didn’t think so at first but this is kind of fun, collecting parts and all to get it looking and running good again.

Here are some before pics

2062D1A1-80FD-4E22-8E4A-F239A6E13975.jpeg
969B9C22-6560-46A1-9538-3624743541CE.jpeg
3DCE857F-600E-4EB9-AB57-C54D60413F57.jpeg
3F13ACDC-0AA3-40A2-9889-541AB4C95ADC.jpeg

.....and some during

2044CDCE-743D-4720-974C-1064F9A345AE.jpeg
05A4E3CD-5703-4DA2-B5A0-572BA71078AA.jpeg
562542CF-4B7A-4529-A61B-24449278E32D.jpeg
723CE8DE-3B16-40E0-AD11-B9BC29E60C88.jpeg

·
Premium Member
11,168 Posts
I think you're right, given the price of new or even slightly used pick-ups, 75K is low mileage these days!. Given it's a "California truck" I expect it's about completely rust free, which is ALWAYS a plus!! I reiterate, good decision!!

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Seems older vehicles were IMHO built better and most likely last longer, too!
BTW: If problem with fuel tank is just "selector valve" even though is not been used in years might get pump replaced while off, better now instead full tank on first few uses pump fails. Either way, hopefully they will bring it up but I'd be sure to purge tank of old fuel along with cleaning whil bed is off.
Good Luck and happy adventuring!

·
GUNZILLA
5,961 Posts
Hey Mark, I think it is a wise choice also . I just spent $1700 fixing my truck and am getting ready to spend another 3 grand putting new leather upholstery that will be softer than the saddle leather they use on King Ranch vehicles. I originally had gotten a quote for 2 grand but made the mistake of taking wife to select colors as it will be two tone and thanks to her it is an extra grand now.

·
Premium Member
19,188 Posts
These are all long gone up here. Rusted away.

I always go to Red, Black, or Blue with my cars. My Silverado is white and that is one of the things I always hated about it. But that is a personal thing.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Your worst nightmare on a vehicle that's been sitting is Ethanol in the fuel. It will literally turn the innards of the entire fuel system to rust. Hopefully, it didn't have any in it. What year is that truck? It looks like an 87-89. SOME of those had a low pressure fuel pump in each tank, and then a third high pressure fuel pump mounted on the left frame rail after the selector valve. You might be hearing the in tank pump of the selected tank AND the frame mounted pump running. After a year or two they dropped the frame mounted pump, and just had one pump in each tank. I wouldn't buy anything until you know which system you have and what if anything is wrong with it.

Tom.

·
Premium Member
9,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It’s a 1990 and while it had a diet of ethanol blend gasoline, that’s all that’s sold in California, it has never “sat”. Thanks for the heads up in the fuel pumps. They’ll have the bed off Monday and I’ll get a better look at just what’s there.

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
In the past year I've helped 2 people change intank fuel pump neither could afford the 2-300$labor wanted-told them to clean out beds and we do it MY way-take 4 bed bolts out-put 18" 4x4 standing up under front of bed-change pumps-45min....screw dropping tanks on a pickup.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Firpo, make sure the heated tailgate option is working, this will make pushing in the wintertime much more comfortable.

Good luck with the rebuild.

Larry

·
Garandaholic
9,379 Posts
I think they dropped the third pump by '90.

Tom
Pretty sure you're correct. I see that pump available up through 89
That truck sure didn't spend it's life around here!
I would not hesitate to fix it up either.

·
Registered
9,258 Posts
In the past year I've helped 2 people change intank fuel pump neither could afford the 2-300$labor wanted-told them to clean out beds and we do it MY way-take 4 bed bolts out-put 18" 4x4 standing up under front of bed-change pumps-45min....screw dropping tanks on a pickup.
That's how I did it on my '93 Ranger except it had 6 bolts. Youngest son and I just picked the bed up and moved it back far enough to get to the fuel pump. Took longer to go to town and buy a torx bit for the bed bolts and pick up the new pump than it took to pull the bed and change the pump.

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Ah, those are great fun projects. I have done a few over the years. Enjoy the search for parts and assembly. Picking color scheme(s); upgrading, etc.

We will enjoy the project via photos. Keep them coming.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts