The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
Wondering what year this revolver was manufactured and an approximate value ?
I recently obtained it with a few other revolvers from an old estate.
It is in very good condition functions and has a two digit serial number stamped on the cylinder, under the grip on the frame and scratched into the underside of the grips. I believe 32 caliber and functions fine.
Thanks for your help!
iv2.JPG
iv1.JPG
iv2.JPG
iv3.JPG

·
Premium Member
10,534 Posts
It’s a first model, that’s about all the help I can be. Oh, that means black powder frame and NO modern ammunition should be used.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Need additional pictures of the serial number under the left grip to be able to tell you when it was manufactured. Please read this to see what I mena:
https://www.thefirearmsforum.com/threads/iver-johnson-or-u-s-revolver-co-serial-numbers.90427/
Thanks.. There is a two digit number under 50 as i said and no letter or other prefix on the lower inside back strap under the grip. Could it be a special order with that low a number? Or could it be first year of manufacture? last pattern date on barrel is Dec 26 1893.

It’s a first model, that’s about all the help I can be. Oh, that means black powder frame and NO modern ammunition should be used.
Thanks wont try and shoot it as tempting as that is.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
What makes you think it is a .32 caliber?

It is defiantly a 1st Model. How is the cylinder held in place? Is there a hook or is it threaded on the end? Is there anything stamped on the butt?

I have never seen a factory engraved Iver Johnson.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Iver Johnson did offer engraving. I believe this is factory engraving.
Where did you see Iver Johnson offered engraving? This revolver dates to 1894-1896 and I don't recall seeing it mentioned anywhere in Goforth's book. I may have overlooked it, but will have to go back and specifically look for it.

They offered blue and nickel finishes and various barrel lengths. They also offered walnut, mother of pearl and ivory grips.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Where did you see Iver Johnson offered engraving? This revolver dates to 1894-1896 and I don't recall seeing it mentioned anywhere in Goforth's book. I may have overlooked it, but will have to go back and specifically look for it.

They offered blue and nickel finishes and various barrel lengths. They also offered walnut, mother of pearl and ivory grips.
Check pages 86 & 87 in Bill Goforth's book. Engraving was offered and I have several models which are engraved. I don't believe anyone can prove who engraved them but, I do know local jewelers in Fitchburg were used to do some of the engraving.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks.. There is a two digit number under 50 as i said and no letter or other prefix on the lower inside back strap under the grip. Could it be a special order with that low a number? Or could it be first year of manufacture? last pattern date on barrel is Dec 26 1893.

Thanks wont try and shoot it as tempting as that is.
If that is a 6" Barrel it more than likely was a special order and the fact that it is engraved and has #50 as a serial number would make it even more likely to be a special order. I have never seen Owl Head grips that color. Unless some one has information to the contrary I would say those are after market. Regardless, it's a nice example of an early gun. Enjoy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the info.. Well I took a good look at it which i should have done before posting.
It is a 5 inch barrel and 38 caliber. The cylinder screws on. A knowledgeable gun dealer has seen these "Orange and black marbled" grips before and has seen the same material on early fishing reels. I would guess these would be factory as the trademark owl probably would not be on aftermarket grips? But back then there probably were no rules about that. the grips are super quality and quite attractive. they have the serial number scratched into the underside so my guess is they were installed at the factory. Probably not a gun i will end up keeping. Not sure.
Anyone want to take a shot at what the value might be?
Thanks again
Summit

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
The 1st Model Safety Hammerless chambered in .38 S&W was only made in 1894. They changed the top latch to a double post in 1895.

With a low serial number, engraving and grips, it may have very well been a presentation piece. That could increase the value.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 1st Model Safety Hammerless chambered in .38 S&W was only made in 1894. They changed the top latch to a double post in 1895.

With a low serial number, engraving and grips, it may have very well been a presentation piece. That could increase the value.
Excellent ! Thank you for the info.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hello
Wondering what year this revolver was manufactured and an approximate value ?
I recently obtained it with a few other revolvers from an old estate.
It is in very good condition functions and has a two digit serial number stamped on the cylinder, under the grip on the frame and scratched into the underside of the grips. I believe 32 caliber and functions fine.
Thanks for your help! View attachment 139223 View attachment 139224 View attachment 139223 View attachment 139226
Interesting old first model! That's a .38 S&W not a .32. I've never seen grips like that on an IJ. Very cool gun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts