The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this Dan Wesson Pointman 9 earlier this week and have not had time to do anything with it other than order a couple of Wilson Combat mags. Finally able to clean it this evening, hopefully will be taking it to the range tomorrow. She's a beauty, here's hoping it is everything I am expecting.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Nice .Never have got to handle one . Hear good stuff on them anyway . I was thinking about maybe getting one of those Tisas WW2 1911s with that stimulus money but decided to replace our water heater . It is showing signs of old age and some rock for our road .

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was able to get to the range today for the first shots from this pistol. I've decided to follow the DW break-in recommendations and only have about 50 rounds thru it as of this post.

It is abundantly obvious that this is a quality made product and will perform far better than I can, fit and finish is stellar. The pistol feels fantastic in hand and runs very smoothly. I was caught off guard by the trigger though, I would call it superior and I am simply not accustomed to that. The trigger is very light, with a small take up, and a crisp break. I don't have a trigger pull gauge, but would wager that it is in the 3-4 lb range. The reset is very short compared to others that I have. I am certain that I will become better with the trigger in short order. No issues with the DW or the Wilson Combat mags.

The target was at 20 yards and I clearly wasn't on my A game today.

One of the more interesting thing to me is how it stacks brass. I could literally put a 5 gallon bucket 4 feet off my right shoulder and all the spent cases would fall in, clearly DW spends a lot of time tuning the extractor.

Is it worth the extra dollars? Too soon to tell.

edit: I don't know why the image clocked 90 degrees, but you get the idea.

·
Super Moderator
39,842 Posts
Good report. I have never had a DW 1911 but their revolvers are some great shooting guns. I have had both their .44 magnum and their .357 magnum pistol packs! A fool for letting them go!

·
Super Moderator
26,812 Posts
Out of the box shooting like that, I'd be happy.

·
Administrator
11,873 Posts
Very nice! Love 1911's!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts