The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I am new to this site. I have 2 guns here that appear to be Afghan Blunderbuss. I would like to know if these are Authentic or replicas as well as the date and value if possible. The pistol is inlaid with mother of pearl and has a lion head butt. The longer one appears to be inlaid with bone. Possibly camel bone. I

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
It shows zero use and wear. There is no pitting on the metal around the flash pan. It has a faked patina. The inlays are all present. On an original they are always missing a few. The locks have the same marking. To an experienced gun person all this jumps out. I overlooked the philips screws. These appear to recent replicas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your reply. I know nothing about them obviously just thought they would look cool on the wall but thought I should check anyway

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are non firing decorator pieces. Value is about 50 bucks. The flask is a shot flask, not a powder flask.
Thank you for your reply. I must say the flask is a lot larger than it looks in the photo. It looks identical to most camel scrotum powder flasks I've seen. The only scrotum shot flask I have seen was much smaller in size. Would you mind explaining what makes you believe it is a shot flask? Simply curious because again I am no expert on any of these items

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
The Phillip's head screw in the butt cap is somewhat of a give-away.....
One way to be sure is to load them up with powder and ball, tie them to a tree and yank the trigger with a long string. If they are still in one piece afterwards, they might real.....:eek:;)

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Notice that neither top jaw screw has any threads on them to hold a flint.

Reactions: One Shot

·
Super Moderator
38,475 Posts
I noticed that too and I don't see a "flash hole" in either one of them, but the angle of the photo is not exactly right.

·
Registered
9,276 Posts
Also note the parting line from a mold on the face of the frizzen in this shot, not only did the builder not file it smooth and heat treat it, it has never had a flint strike it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts